Premed 101 Forums

rejected stats in the mail

haha and what's wrong with sharing my 20 cents?

Masaki: i used pretty much all point form. And rather than say 'led a fundraiser' or 'formed a group', I would specify those things that showed I was a leader so 'Recruited volunteers for...' Contacted chefs and rented kitchen space to allow...' 'Followed through regarding...' 'Delegated volunteers to...' 'Raised x amount of dollars, Transmitted funds overseas to support...' So basically i just paid a lot of attention to different kinds of verbs that could highlight a role more clearly. But of course, there was a lot more space to use up this year in the app so that was likely also a factor.

ohh... icic thanks!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a pile of crap. Have you seen how many Chinese people are at UBC? Half of them can barely speak English, despite this rumoured "LPI racism".

I think that just means that some people are under the impression that there is a racial bias against people of their race, when it may just be that there tends to be more people of a racial minority who don't have very strong (English) communication skills, simply because English is their second language. I can see how some people may interpret this as discrimmination, but I think it makes sense to recruit doctors who more are proficient in English, especially in an English speaking country and especially because of how important communication is in health care.

I think that just means that some people are under the impression that there is a racial bias against people of their race, when it may just be that there tends to be more people of a racial minority who don't have very strong (English) communication skills, simply because English is their second language. I can see how some people may interpret this as discrimmination, but I think it makes sense to recruit doctors who more are proficient in English, especially in an English speaking country and especially because of how important communication is in health care.

I agree. However, there are a handful of applicants who are bilingual in both English and Chinese. I think that puts them at an advantage, not in terms of the application process, but in practicing in a city like Vancouver where it is densely populated with Chinese people. I don't see how certain minority groups can be discriminated against if they are fluent in English as well as in their mother tongue language. If anything, it will likely help break down the language barrier between them and their patients as they can better communicate...it will also enhance understanding of cultural values, etc.

I agree. However, there are a handful of applicants who are bilingual in both English and Chinese. I think that puts them at an advantage, not in terms of the application process, but in practicing in a city like Vancouver where it is densely populated with Chinese people. I don't see how certain minority groups can be discriminated against if they are fluent in English as well as in their mother tongue language. If anything, it will likely help break down the language barrier between them and their patients as they can better communicate...it will also enhance understanding of cultural values, etc.

yeah, I don't think people who are fluent in English get discriminated against. In fact, being able to speak an extra language may even be help in their application. I think leviathan was referring to people who are fluent in chinese (for example), but not English.

I was amused to find out that someone with the highest possible degree (doctorate) from one of the top Universities only getting 16/25 on the academic portion. Last 60 credits 85%, Apparently graduate degrees don't count for anything, only courses taken during this time can contribute to your last 60 credits. All 3-4 courses that you take in grad school count towards your academic score.

Publication, volunteer, and awards, national and local contributions etc... don't count for too much on the NAQ scale either.

If I had to give someone with a low undergrad GPA advice about getting into UBC. I would say don't do graduate degrees, just go back to college (an easy one, liberal or alternative OK) and do another bachelors, and pick and easy program (I won't suggest any specific ones). Do something completely out of the blue like fashion! Or basket making!

And do not old national or provincial leadership positions in science or publish in great journals, instead become the head of the SPCA student chapter at your school and volunteer to save the raccoons with rabbies from unfair treatment, or start a communist society promoting equal contribution of beer, or better yet run for a government seat in your hometown as a (add any religious affiliation here) communist party member or better yet a Party Quebecois member in North Van. I will try to come up with more creative things for one to do!!!

Guest iwannaplaylock
I was amused to find out that someone with the highest possible degree (doctorate) from one of the top Universities only getting 16/25 on the academic portion. Last 60 credits 85%, Apparently graduate degrees don't count for anything, only courses taken during this time can contribute to your last 60 credits. All 3-4 courses that you take in grad school count towards your academic score.

Publication, volunteer, and awards, national and local contributions etc... don't count for too much on the NAQ scale either.

If I had to give someone with a low undergrad GPA advice about getting into UBC. I would say don't do graduate degrees, just go back to college (an easy one, liberal or alternative OK) and do another bachelors, and pick and easy program (I won't suggest any specific ones). Do something completely out of the blue like fashion! Or basket making!

And do not old national or provincial leadership positions in science or publish in great journals, instead become the head of the SPCA student chapter at your school and volunteer to save the raccoons with rabbies from unfair treatment, or start a communist society promoting equal contribution of beer, or better yet run for a government seat in your hometown as a (add any religious affiliation here) communist party member or better yet a Party Quebecois member in North Van. I will try to come up with more creative things for one to do!!!

u got powned by ubc

stuff

UBC is not a research-focused school - many people who I know who have gotten in have not ever touched research. In contrast, there are many US schools who won't even consider you if you haven't done any.

Seriously, what's with the snark? I know a PhD student who volunteers at a local SPCA, not because she wants to go to medical school or anything, but because she cares about the animals - is that not a legitimate use of her time?

As someone who has not done graduate studies and therefore is obviously academically, intellectually and mentally inferior, here's some advice for you: grow up. :rolleyes:

.... the head of the SPCA student chapter at your school and volunteer to save the raccoons with rabbies from unfair treatment ...

WOW someone missed the point... raccoons ... rabbies!!!! I would never want to see an animal mistreated. Even in research I never allowed unethical use of animals and when mice had to be used, I felt bad about that.

But I will take your suggestion! Thank You.

WOW someone missed the point... raccoons ... rabbies!!!! I would never want to see an animal mistreated. Even in research I never allowed unethical use of animals and when mice had to be used, I felt bad about that.

But I will take your suggestion! Thank You.

No, you missed the point. Save the angry rants for your bartender.

Okay.. I will discuss this with my bartender.

However I stick by my original statement. If you an undergrad and thinking about getting into UBC, I would suggest improving your undergraduate GPA or doing a second BSc or BA rather than graduate work.

Better yet, put that effort into your first Bachelor's degree and save yourself the extra work.

I would like to agree with what VanMD said earlier; he is right...doing a graduate degree pretty much doesn't get you anywhere as far as UBC is concerned. In fact, I would say that it doesn't mean much no matter what Canadian Medical School you are applying to. I received an interview the FIRST time I applied to UBC (but didn't get in) and because my first year marks in my undergraduate degree weren't that great, the advisor told me to go back and take some more undergrad courses or do a graduate degree. I opted for the graduate degree. I have a few first author publications and received a Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Award during my degree, and this is my FOURTH time applying to UBC and my FOURTH interview. Last year, the advisor told me that she STILL thinks it's my first year marks that are bringing me down, so although it's been 10 years since I took most of my pre-req courses, I'm currently going to Camosun College and re-taking first year courses to increase my grades and GPA.

The best advice I could give to anyone who is thinking about med school is MAKE SURE you don't screw up ANY year of your undergrad; and if it's too late, go back and do another year of undergrad courses, because UBC doesn't seem to value the commitment and dedication it takes to get an MSc.....

It's not just UBC. My undergrad was ok, but not stellar. I did a Masters and got a 4.0 in that and when I applied to Memorial, had an interview, didn't get in and was told it was cuz my undergrad marks weren't good enough. You'd think that getting a 4.0 in grad level courses would count a bit more than get a B in a second year undergrad course. But I guess not.

I would like to agree with what VanMD said earlier; he is right...doing a graduate degree pretty much doesn't get you anywhere as far as UBC is concerned. In fact, I would say that it doesn't mean much no matter what Canadian Medical School you are applying to. I received an interview the FIRST time I applied to UBC (but didn't get in) and because my first year marks in my undergraduate degree weren't that great, the advisor told me to go back and take some more undergrad courses or do a graduate degree. I opted for the graduate degree. I have a few first author publications and received a Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Award during my degree, and this is my FOURTH time applying to UBC and my FOURTH interview. Last year, the advisor told me that she STILL thinks it's my first year marks that are bringing me down, so although it's been 10 years since I took most of my pre-req courses, I'm currently going to Camosun College and re-taking first year courses to increase my grades and GPA.

The best advice I could give to anyone who is thinking about med school is MAKE SURE you don't screw up ANY year of your undergrad; and if it's too late, go back and do another year of undergrad courses, because UBC doesn't seem to value the commitment and dedication it takes to get an MSc.....

That sucks, and scares me because my first year marks were far from stellar. I think it's silly though, because Masters' level classes are so much harder than undergraduate ones, so you'd expect them to really consider that.

I hope you get in this time! *sends positive energy*

It's not just UBC. My undergrad was ok, but not stellar. I did a Masters and got a 4.0 in that and when I applied to Memorial, had an interview, didn't get in and was told it was cuz my undergrad marks weren't good enough. You'd think that getting a 4.0 in grad level courses would count a bit more than get a B in a second year undergrad course. But I guess not.

Now I'm quite frightened since I have a few courses in my first year that were worse than a B.. I thought as long as your undergraduate marks get better every year this isn't a problem?

I must say that it is unfortunate how little research is valued. I recently finished my msc and was told at the advising session last year that a) publication cannot be evaluated - too much work to do so, they dont require research so how can the reward it, and c) they want to know that I am interested in the miracle of life and research does show that necessarily.

I must say my courses in grad school were not much more difficult than undergrad, but some of the things I gain during my msc were persistance, self directed learning self releiance... and I can go on. UBC relies on your ECs to a significant extent and I must say I know many people who are rackiing up the volunteer hours, but don't truly want to be there. Who evaluates their contribution. From my point of view, accomplishments of an MSc/PhD such as peer-reviewed awards, invitations to speak at international conf., pubs in good journals, the degree itself as well as the recognition of what it takes to acheive all that, is a better indicator of what that person is able to achieve than some ECs. I just think UBC recognizes the sheer amount work and personal growth that occurs during a grad degree and how that could translate into a good physician.

I had some C's and a D in my first year, and my pre-reqs were a low 69% when I applied - It took me four tries and a second bachelors, but in the end it worked out - I always looked forward to using the 10 year rule, but luckily I was one year away from using it (it's so nice that UBC has this rule!). They do look at your trends - on a couple of my feedback sheets it even said "upward trend in grades" - I pulled up my grades and got 10/10 for my last 60 credits through my second bachelors, I re-wrote my MCAT to show that I can handle the science and that my pre-req grades are not representative of my ability, really pushed for a good NAQ, and the interviews I got I looked at them as being on even ground with everyone else - you are fighting against your grades, but if you are patient and persistent it can happen - wish you all the best - four times is a charm :)

Thanks for the confidence Poolboy...I remember reading some of your posts from the last application cycle. I have to say that it's definitely nice to know that I'm not the only one that is a sucker for punishment. I think this will be my last year at trying...I'm hoping four times will be just the charm I need. I have had comments like 'upward trend in grades' on my application feedback, as well as 'honors degree' and things like that (I graduated with distinction in my bachelor's), and although they certainly do recognise a master's, as it is always a comment on the feedback forms, I'm not sure the decision committee really thinks about the kind of dedication, commitment and self-reliance achieving a master's really entails.

Besides all that though, I do have a significant amount of volunteer hours on my NAQ, including an abroad volunteer project in Costa Rica and working in a hospital in Africa, and then there's music, theatre, sports etc...I usually always do better than average in my NAQ section and then just average or a little below in the academics. My last 60 credits is in the mid-90's, my overall GPA is in the low 80's and my pre-req was around 75% - Although, this will be increased because I re-took three courses.

All I can say is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason in how they choose. It boggles my mind most days. I'm just hoping that they recognize perseverance, because a fourth rejection would be p-r-e-t-t-y hard to swallow...........GULP:eek:

Archived