Premed 101 Forums

Medical schools in belgium

Guest UAgrad

Hi all,

Anyone out there have any information about med schools in Belgium?? As far as I can tell you have to study in French or Flemish (French would be ok for me)...any idea about the application process, costs etc??

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest kaolausb

why would u want to go to Belgium instead of Aussie? I mean so many ppl have done it in Aussie and laid groundwork for you.. I don't think it's a good idea to go to Belgium to study medicine.. try some aussie med school first..

• 1 year later...

I disagree! If U can go to Belgium and lay the groundwork there then do it. PLus, you'd be able to practice in all of EU I would think. It might be a little more difficult to learn all the technical words in English as well as French, but I'd assume that if you are fluent already it will not be a big deal

wow.. I like the big terms you guys use.. Lay the ground work.... what are you talking about???

I tried applying to UC.Luvin about 7 or 8 years ago. They do accept foreigners but very slim. ALso the way they work is different. Lots of people get accepted first year and then there is a big exam at the end to decide who goes forward. Not really the best chances to continue. Like 200 out of 1000 go forward, guessing here.

As good as you think your french is, I would consider going to an English language medical school, especially if you plan to practice in English part of the world. My educated suggestions on where to go is the following.

1st Choice: Canadian Medical School

2nd Choice: American Medical School

3rd Choice: Caribean Medical School (SGU or ROSS)

3rd Choice: American Osteopathic Medical school (if you want Family practice)

4th Choice: Irish, British, Australian (4 year program)

5th Choice: European medical school

6th Choice: Indian Medical school... cheap and some are exceptional

7th Choice: go to no medical school at all.

hey Dobill,

I am curious how AOA treat canadian students (DO students obviously) applying for DO residencies? What do you plan on doing yourself? Come to Canada or the US?

"3rd Choice: Caribean Medical School (SGU or ROSS)

3rd Choice: American Osteopathic Medical school (if you want Family practice)

4th Choice: Irish, British, Australian (4 year program)"

doctorwilliam, why put ye caribb and osteo above ire/uk/aus?

Actually starting to think that Caribean school is better than DO (unless you want to do family practice (then no problem coming and working in Ontario only). Remember IMG can now match in Canada. DO's can only match in family practice in Ontario. why bother doing USMLE and COMLEX and the Canadian Exams. Might as well just do USMLEs and Canadian exams. .

I too think doing a Caribbean schools might be better than DO schools if you want to come back to Canada. Only because Canadian residency programs have never heard of DOs. But if you are American citizen, DO programs >>>>>>> Caribbean MD. Especially good DO schools such as PCOM, UNECOM. Their match lists are unbelievable and are well respected, some even more so than many MD schools.

Now I must say that the new match is not going to be better for Canadians studying abroad to come back. I suspect that the residency programs will be picking IMG, with landed imigration status over Canadians that went abroad. Simply cause many of them have already completed residency abroad... so they are kind of getting well trained doctors at Resident rate. ~35-40k.

Thats interesting! Never thought of it that way.

Odd enough, today I am in Montreal... and heard two people talking about how one of the ladies mother passed away cause she could not get surgery on time... or cancer treatment. The lady said that they could of went to the US for treatment.. but they did not think fast enough, and how the shortage of doctors here is getting bad. Here I am thinking. I would kill to be learning and practicing in Canada, but I just shrugged and walked away.

Even though this story is moving, I would never come back to Canada. Hey, I applied to Canadian schools they rejected me. I think I am a little hostile towards them lol. Spending US dollars to educate myself, I would rather stay there and make US dollars back.

Funny thing, is UVM was my number one pick for medical school in the US. Unfortunately I did not get in there.. but it is expensive. MONEY IS ALWAYS SOMETHING on my mind when studying in the US.

I am fortunate, money wasnt a big issue for me. But I hear ya, the tuition is up to 44K now. Thats ridiculously expensive. Hey, even though you didnt end up at UVM, Maine is so close hehe. I hear it is an awesome place to live. I know UVM is affiliated to Maine Medical, and thus UVM students do rotations there. So, I might rotate there who knows :)

I 2nd sony's post. If you have to pay back a debt of over $300,000 CAN, because you studied in the US - and you are from an average middle class background - you would be foolish to come back to Canada, unless money means little and being in debt is not a big deal, b/c you'd be paying it back for at least 15 years...pretty sure this would affect your investments, retirement savings, support for children (if you have them), savings, and almost all facets of your life

Archived