Premed 101 Forums

Attire

mvdaog

I'm wearing a dark gray suit with very faint purple pinstriping...

it may sound flashy but is quite conservative... the purple is barely noticeable but accents ties well...

I will wear my watch (a standard steel banded tag, not too flashy) but I think I'd refrain from Cuff links. If you ask me they are more for formal dinners and receptions and things of that nature as far as I've been exposed. Maybe if they were very conservative... but not for me at least.

I think a safe rule is stay fairly conservative while not dressing like a drone.

I think a good way to stand out is with a nice shirt tie combo under your jacket ... nothing outrageous just something that looks sharp

It seems like every morning I wake up I raise a new question about my interview attire. Today, it revolves around my jacket. The suit I have has three buttons. For those who are familiar with these sorts of things, is it customary to unbutton the top one? the bottom one? bottom two? etc.

When I was shopping for the suit, the salesman had me try it on but asked that I only do up the top button while leaving the bottom two undone. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure why he asked me to do that. Is this how traditionally the jacket is worn? I was always under the assumption that they should all be done up.

I'm so confused :confused:

Hi Rocky,

A good rule for 3-button jackets is (from top button to bottom button): never-always-maybe.

So, never do up the top button, always for the middle one, and maybe for the bottom one.

For this occasion, I think you should do up the bottom button. This would look a little more formal than leaving it undone. Just one opinion! :)

Sorry but the last post has it backwards.

For a single-breasted 3 button suit....you NEVER do the bottom one, ALWAYS the middle one and the top one is up to you.

If you do the bottom one up, you will look ridiculous when you go to sit.

Not doing the top button is "old-style" cause older suits used to be made with a lapel that went over the top button. Today's suits usually aren`t made that way....so you have the option of doing the top one up or not depending on how you feel about it.

Furthermore you should always unbutton your jacket when you sit, it lets it out and the moment you stand back up.... get that middle button done up

and as I've learned, middle of three... top of 2... given that you are sitting and getting up which requires buttoning and unbuttoning I would only go one button either way

To add... my upbringing has been very formal...

but more based around formal dinner and event attire... you may find something else for business

but my girlfriend's father is a Lord technically and is in the British royal line somewhere if you were to look it up so for their family dinners this was always really important and that's how I've always seen it done.

I wore a shirt and tie w/no jacket last year but this year I got a nice blazer/sport jacket. Its dark navy and I'm wearing baige trousers w/it. It's not a suit, but I think it's actually more suited to a doctor. My dad helped me pick it out and I think it's how a doctor would dress :D .

I wore a shirt and tie w/no jacket last year but this year I got a nice blazer/sport jacket. Its dark navy and I'm wearing baige trousers w/it. It's not a suit, but I think it's actually more suited to a doctor. My dad helped me pick it out and I think it's how a doctor would dress :D .

Was it common for people to come without the jacket?? I just imagined that a full suit was the standard attire for interviews.

Hey,

I have a dilemna: I bought a contemporary corporate-like black suit. However I am debating what to wear underneath: would you think red is appropritate ( not a low-cut shirt)??? Or should i go for smth more plain like beige or white underneath???

Comments much appreciated.

Hey,

I have a dilemna: I bought a contemporary corporate-like black suit. However I am debating what to wear underneath: would you think red is appropritate ( not a low-cut shirt)??? Or should i go for smth more plain like beige or white underneath???

Comments much appreciated.

Generally, most people prefer more conservative colours for shirts when going to an interview. A light blue can work well, as can any off-white, but reds usually come out looking more daring and stylish and are more appropriate for something like a cocktail party.

Generally, most people prefer more conservative colours for shirts when going to an interview. A light blue can work well, as can any off-white, but reds usually come out looking more daring and stylish and are more appropriate for something like a cocktail party.

LOl, i actually wore that in a graduate school interview last week....ouch!

I think people get too caught up with colours whether they are conservative or too daring. Just wear what looks good with you and your suit. I personally will be going with red not caring whether it's a bit less conservative or not, just that it looks good on me.

Archived