Premed 101 Forums

Attire

mvdaog

I guess you could say Im a 'casual' dresser lol Never worn a suit in my life rarely anything but tennis shoes, but I know I gotta grab somethin before these interviews. What are you guys plannin on wearing, and any suggestions?

No offense to the ladies, if you wanna discuss fashion and attire for the females out there feel free on this thread too, it just wont be too much use to me ;)

Having conducted interviews myself, I can tell you that no one really pays attention to what you wear as much as what comes out of your mouth. That being said, if you wear a nice suit, tie, and dress shoes, people are more likely to take you seriously and believe you are mature and responsible, exactly what everyone is looking for in a doctor. Even if it's "not you" you can suck it up for a day to look the part. You need to get used to it as for most clinic days, especially in your clerkship years, you will need to be wearing a shirt and tie.

From my personal experience, I just feel more confident and outgoing and polished when I'm dressed in a nice suit, and that is reflected in the interview itself.

Being an applicant who has interviewed before, AND a suit salesman with Moores :D, I would by FAR recommend wearing a suit.

Get a nice, traditional conservative suit - go for navy or black - nice dark colours - I would say avoid light grays, browns (as most people should for their first suit anyway) or tan/taupe/etc... You can do a pinstripe or a plain suit, depending on your personal preference, but nothing too crazy looking. Hopefully if you're dealing with a salesman, you can tell him what you need it for and he will help you find something you like. I would recommend a two-button or three-button single-breasted suit - anything else is a little more "fashion-forward" and is a little daring, but you can proceed according to your own preferences.

I would strongly recommend getting a 100% wool suit (the standard suit material), rather than a cheaper wool/polyester blend, or something a little different like silk. 100% wool is more breathable and comfortable (especially when you're sweating in that interview); wool also drapes better and looks a lot nicer (in MY opinion).

While I agree that you should be comfortable and be yourself, I know that when you walk into the main area where all the other interviewees will be gathering, virtually EVERYONE will be in a suit, and I can imagine it would be very intimidating if you weren't dressed like that. Even if it didn't matter as much to your interviewers, I'm sure it would be psyching you out a bit.

Get the suit tailored nicely to fit you well, which makes a BIG difference in how it looks and how comfortable you'll feel in it (depending on your shape, that may cost anywhere from $5 to $75, approximately from Moores). Some people like to practice interview questions by wearing what they'll be wearing on their interviews, and maybe that will make you feel more comfortable in a suit. I personally really enjoy wearing a suit because, once you get over that initial discomfort, I find it really confidence-boosting.

I would say wear a nice pair of classic black oxford moc-toe (those squared toe) dress shoes. You can wear something different, as per your personal preference, but you really can't go wrong with a classic. If you want to go with a different colour (such as brown), make sure they are nice and dark. If you have old shoes that you'd like to wear for the day, make sure they look nice and are comfortable. If they are in good shape, make sure they are nicely polished. As always, your belt should match your shoes (black and black is classic).

All you need now is a nice dress shirt and a tie. This is where your personality can shine through nicely (and still be somewhat conservative)! The conservative colours for shirt/ties are white, grey, and blue. However, despite my conservative suit beliefs, I feel you should look at some other colours to be a bit different, and have fun. Get a nice 100% silk tie (with no santa or jokey pictures on it, hockey sticks, golf tees, etc... something more professional). If you're not a good guy with colours and patterns, let the salesmen help you look at combinations, but don't feel like you have to pick one of their choices.

And that's MY opinion of what to wear for an interview. It doesn't have to cost you an absolutely fortune. At Moores (just from my experience because I work there and know the prices), you could get a nice 100% wool suit from $250-$300, with a shirt ($60), tie ($30), and nice dress shoes ($100, but check out a larger shoe store - better prices).

It's a chunk of change, yes, but if you take care of a suit, it will last you for years and years.

I (female) wore a pant-suit (no idea how to spell that) to all my interviews and found that it was the most popular option but not the only option. Except at McGill. There, all the women were wearing dark formal pant suits. No skirts and (coincidence?) they all had their hair tied back. I would go for the pant suit. Nothing is worse than being under-dressed and nothing boosts you as much as being the best looking one in the room :)

Good luck!

Having interviewed and participated on interview committees, I'd say that for females, I'd say a skirt is not a requirement. When I did interviews, I saw very few women in skirts. However, you should wear what you feel most comfortable with - if that's a skirt, go for it. Similarly, you don't need to wear a suit jacket, though many women will. A good fitting (i.e. no gapping, etc.) button-down shirt would be fine, in my experience. So would a nice sweater. The key is looking professional. That's how people will expect you to look when you're with patients, so that's how you should present yourself to the interview committee.

Re: hair. Just wear it in a manner that prevents you from constantly fiddling with it. Repeatedly brushing your hair back from falling in your face is distracting, at the least, and things like that can be exacerbated by nervousness.

Hi all,

I'm debating whether a suit is still the best bet for an MMI - I agree that a suit is the best bet for sitting across a desk from people, but what about when you're moving room-to-room every 10 mins for an hour? Does the jacket get too flowy? Does the whole thing get too warm? What do you folks think?

I'm not sure what you mean by "does the jacket get too flowy". As someone who wears suits for an 8-hour working day, up and down, measuring clothes, etc., I find a suit perfectly comfortable to wear through the day, although I find I have to occasionally adjust my pants/re-tuck my shirt a bit. Like I said, having a 100% wool suit is more breathable, and would be more comfortable than a poly blend.

Men: wear a suit with a tie - anything less will only make you look too casual. And if you don't have one go out and buy a nice suit - like at Harry Rosen or somewhere you can get it tailored - that $2000 suit feels nice!

Woman: pants, skirt, it all works, as long as you look professional (that's all the advice I can give as a guy) :)

as a girl, I'm going to be wearing a pant-suit - I just don't know what to wear underneath it (a button down or a shell and if so what color?). I also don't know what kind of shoes are appropriate since I think heels would be uncomfortable for MMI. and hair up or down?I know people say whatever makes you comfortable, but I have long hair so I don't know what would be more professional?

:P how long is long? Some of my friends have hair they can sit on... it looks sort of really odd... down... it looks nice in a braid though.

Realistically, if I was a doctor, I'd wear my hair in a pony. I don't want it dripping into things. My doctor wears her hair down, but she's a family doctor and it hardly even moves (she used to be a model, apparently), much less drips into things. So glamorous :)

haha long = elbow length? If I was working I'd wear it in a pony but....it looks better down lol...so up or down?

I like this thread... so chill and not angry. (so far at least).

Okay last year I wore a suit with pants and had makeup and heels and I had my hair in a bun.

I felt very pretty but also kinda.... barbie-ish? not nessesarily in a bad way but I felt sort of weird...

It could just have been because I never wear makeup and it surprises me to find makeup on myself.

But it does make me wonder.... how much makeup should I wear this year?

Also just kind of hypothetically (I don't mean me) but do you guys think that beauty is discriminated against?

What kind of shoes, ladies?

Obviously not 4 inch heels.

But flats? Nothing chunky? Kitten heels? What?

What about bags? Do people bring bags? Or just a folder?

I think I look better without glasses, but just in case my eyes get red from contacts, I'm going to stick with glasses.

I just did the classic pointy black pumps, and they were definitely 3 inches. They're pretty comfortable which I think is the most important thing (aside from professional). A lot of people I saw did pumps, but some ballet flats too.

I don't think you're supposed to bring anything into the interview, at Dal anyway they had you leave everything in a room locked up. But that was an MMI, so it could have been different. My thoughts!! :) But I am no expert, obviously, because I'm still an undergrad.

I just interviewed at Dal (MMI). I wouldn't worry about the difference between the interview style in terms of the clothing you wear. I don't think that you should be any more comfortable in the clothing for an MMI than a panel interview (I've worn the same clothes to both). Obviously, you should be somewhat comfortable in your clothing for either style interview. But don't be too worried about the length of time of the MMI or the moving around... I found that it went by quite quickly and it was actually kind of fun.

At least at Dal, you're sitting for a significant portion of the MMI anyway, similar to how you would be in a panel style interview. You only really have 2 stand for 2 minutes at a time. Also, we had 2 rest stations where we could sit and relax or use the washroom, so if you had to adjust your clothing at all that would be a good time.

I wore a pants-suit with a silk button-up blouse underneath. I wore 2 inch heels, because that's what I had. I suppose if you've never worn heels before it may not be a good idea to start then, but like I said you'll be sitting down a lot so if you want to a wear a nice-looking pair of heels don't be nervous about it.

As for make-up, I don't tend to wear any. I sometimes wear lipstick but usually only for special occasions. I chose to where lip-balm instead just so I wouldn't be self-conscious about whether or not I still had lipstick on. If you don't know how to put on make-up I would suggest that the morning of the interview is not a good time to learn. I don't think its necessary to wear but if you're comfortable with it than I'm sure its fine. Just don't go over-board I think too much make-up can look really tacky.

The hair is always important for girls. I've waited to get my haircut until the day of the interview this year and last year. I usually have fairly long hair (maybe 3 or 4 inches below my shoulders), but I tend to get it cut to shoulder length for the interview. (I'm lazy and only get it cut once a year. :) ) My hair is somewhat curly normally (which I love), but to be a little bit different and I think look more mature, I wear it straight for my interviews. It tends to stay-put and be a little more manageable when its straight. I wear it down because I'm more comfortable that way, and I think it looks very professional.

I also wear glasses or contacts, but always wear my classes for my interview. I really like my glasses and I think they make me look stylish and professional and I don't have to worry about losing a contact lens or getting dirt under it during the interview. It wouldn't be good if you had to keep one eye closed the entire time. :)

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the attire subject.

Good luck to everyone in their interviews.

I had the same general experience with my Dal MMI, which I agree was more fun than I thought it would be! I'm a dork. LOL. And the three inch heels weren't a problem.

But I love the curls, my hair is above the shoulder and borderline afro (that's exaggerating, but it's big) and I left it like that. And I did the blouse and sweatervest thing. Interesting fact: I wore a dress shirt that was lavender, and I ended up matching exactly with one of my interviewers, who was a guy. I thought it was pretty funny.

Somewhere I read said to minimize makeup, but who knows where that was? Anyway, I went with that.

I guess we'll all see how attire pays off by May or so!

Oooh, I also left my nosestud in, I don't think that should be a problem because it's tiny, but it's an interesting experiment. I also have some ear piercings that aren't standard (tragus, anti-helix ??) which I left, but took out the tongue ring because that never earns points with anyone. Probably it's time to take that out for good.

I have been to several interview so far (in the US granted) and I haven't seen anybody who wasn't wearing a suit. Also, no one had unconventianal visible piercings.

I personally have a pant suit and I do wear earings, but they are simply black pearl studs. I also tie up my hair, but I have noticed that some women don't even if it is really long, so I guess that is personal choice. Also, pretty much every girl wore some kind of makeup.

As for guys, they all had ties and had combed their hair. there is of course the exception of the one guy who showed up to his interview at my school a few years back with waist-long dreads ... and got in. He and his dreads now work at the local hospital.

Well, I tried putting on makeup today. It just doesn't work for me, so I'll be going without it. I've tried getting it professionally done and it still looks so fake and odd.

Maybe I should get some dreads instead.

hi aranndil... I agree with Julie completely that you definitely shouldn't feel obliged to wear makeup and that it will likely make no difference in your interview. but makeup can be a useful skill for a women (parties and other places perhaps...) so if you don't mind i have some tips...

I found for myself when I started using makeup occassionally I used to put on way too much and used heavy colours. But makeup is most effective when it is subtle. especially for an interview. I would just start with mascara, some tinted lipgloss and the tiniest bit of blush and you will probably find that just this will add colour and life to your features.

"professional" makeup artists in my experiece always use way too much and often use what is slightly edgy and trendy over what is classic and tasteful.

In high school I remember a "professional" makeup artist putting orange on my lips! not a good idea....

OH MY GOD THANK YOU! :* ... Man, I was getting tips from WikiHow!!

No problem aranndil! Happy to be of help. Let me know if it works for you or not. If it doesn't I think the best advice you could get would be from a friend who has worn makeup for years and you think she (or he) looks good in it.

I guess where I am unsure is if eyeliner would be over the top or not for a med school interview....

I gotta remember to get those pants dry cleaned soon!

• 2 weeks later...

What are your thoughts on some accessories to go with the suit for guys? Here I'm thinking along the lines of cufflinks or that little clip that goes on the tie. I don't really own a pair and am not sure if they would be appropriate to wear.

What about a watch? I currently own a silver one that matches well with my black suit (at least it does to me), but would gold look better or is that a bit too flashy??

Archived