Premed 101 Forums

anyone applied to ireland (tcd, ucc)

Guest ezrock

Guest Nerdball

Hey ezrock,

If you go to UCC, will you be my friend? lol, ok don't get scared, I'm friendly.

I don't know what to say in answer to your question. Like it's currently very difficult for IMG's to get spots here. But the buzz is that they are planning on filling up the empty family medicine spots with international graduates...I think that'd be awesome for us and for Canada....but that said, you gotta prepare yourself for rejection. Look at the sheet AB sent with your acceptance...all the Irish graduates who have been placed in North America are in the US...so it's good to go in knowing that you might not be able to come back here or that it might be difficult. What do you want to specialize in?

I'm not hesitating about going because my general attitude is that if Canada doestn' want me when I'm a well qualified doctor and I didn't cost them a penny...then @#$@#$ it, I'll go somewhere else. I sort of want to move to Europe anyways, so I think my situation is a bit different than yours. If you're keen on coming back here, it may not be the best option for you...and hopefully you'll get into Western and Queens anyways.

Check out these links that someone else showed me:

Shut out at home

and

Canadians Migrating South

and

Brain Refill

Are your parents going to pay for your school in Ireland? If so, you're a lucky lucky person. I'm paying all of this on my own (with the help of the mightly banks)...and the costs are back breaking.. you're looking at a 250 000 loan plus interest

Take care, and congratulations.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ezrock

hey.

if i do go it'll be nice to know someone already before hand considering how far away it is!

just finished my exams today (woohoo done undergrad) so i'll have a chance tomorrow to read the full package at my parents house once i make it back there.

i'll likely be paying it for my own. maybe with some assistance from my parents (250grand is ridiculous). if i get in here i'll be paying for it on my own for sure. 130thousand is way more doable than 250g's!

i'll let you know what i think once I read the package myself instead of having random bits told to me over the phone!

take care,

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ezrock

hi. okay i turned it down unfortunately. I don't want to be pretty much forced to be a family doctor. I'd like to have options open so I have turned down UCC. :( thanks for everyone's help/advice :)

-Ian

Archived