Premed 101 Forums

The lost RN

Hi everyone,

I've been nursing for 4 years now and for the past 2, have been considering switching over to medicine. I do not have my nursing degree (just RN diploma) and am completely lost in how get on the right path into medicine. I have considered taking the final 2 years for post RN degree (just to have a degree), but don't want to waste time studying things that won't specifically help me in medicine.

Does anyone have any suggestions??:confused:

I think you should finish your degree. Some schools very much prefer degrees, and can be an advantage if you do really well in them (3.8+). You would also have a degree should you choose to go back to nursing. Not only that, but would you not get some medical experience during clerkships (I don't remember 100% of the nursing program, but any medical work there would look way better than the medical-related volunteering of many premeds). Just my opinion anyways......good luck!

Thanks for your response!

I kind of figured that real clinical experience would catch the eye, but I also feel that I need a sounder knowledge base in the sciences (although I've done some of my own self teaching throughout my career ... nothing that can be credited though). Time-wise, completing the 2 year nursing degree program makes a lot of sense (I'm already 26).

Thanks again!

I would also say that completing your BScN is the way to go. Many schools do require a degree and so you'd have this requirement fulfilled. In addition, as you know, a degree in nursing will open more doors for you within the field as compared to having a diploma.

One thing to note, you should look into the individual medical schools that interest you. Every school will have their own requirements (pre-reqs, MCAT or not, etc) so you should try to take some of these courses along the way if necessary. Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply. I will start looking at the requirements for each school.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been nursing for and why did you decide on medicine? I'm just interested b/c so many of my nursing colleagues are completely content in nursing role and I feel like a bit of an odd ball in amongst them. Nice to know I'm not alone!

As an RN student I've found getting to wrap your head around medical school admission requirements, pre-reqs, etc. can be a real pain in the ass. Here's something to start you off with for UBC:

70% cumulative average

MCAT

1st year Gen Bio

1st year Gen Chem

1 year Organic Chem

1 year Biochem

1st year English

Need a bachelor's degree (or 90 credits) to apply

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been nursing for and why did you decide on medicine? I'm just interested b/c so many of my nursing colleagues are completely content in nursing role and I feel like a bit of an odd ball in amongst them. Nice to know I'm not alone!

I have been nursing for about 4 yrs as well. The role is great, work with great colleagues and enjoy the interaction with patients. Decided to seriously pursue med a couple yrs ago. Wanted a try a role change and be able to make autonomous decisions which can produce positive outcomes in my patients. I do have an interview next month so there is hope!

Also Marie, I noticed that you finished your nursing diploma (which was likely taken at a college). Where are you from and which schools are you interested in applying to? I know that in Ontario, they won't even consider your college years or marks so you would have to start from scratch. This may or may not be the case at other schools (another thing to look into). Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

First off, congratulations on your interview - that's AWESOME and I'd love to hear how it goes, so make sure you keep us posted!

You're right - it is only the diploma I have. I've been really indecisive since I graduated from nursing and turned down taking the RN degree 3 times b/c I looked at the program and new it was not what I wanted ... I know, I know, I should have just done it ... but it was the phase of life I was in and now I just have to deal with the consequences :(

I am from Ontario and was considering either McMaster or U of T (which I believe have 2 different philosphies re: the way they accept and train their students).

I too, am looking for a little more autonomy. I truly feel that my nursing experience to present will make me a well-rounded physician ... and I know I'd write the BESSST orders for the interdisciplinary team (and so would you, I'm sure!)

Thanks for your reply and keep in touch (I may have to pick your brain in the future if you don't mind)!

First off, congratulations on your interview - that's AWESOME and I'd love to hear how it goes, so make sure you keep us posted!

You're right - it is only the diploma I have. I've been really indecisive since I graduated from nursing and turned down taking the RN degree 3 times b/c I looked at the program and new it was not what I wanted ... I know, I know, I should have just done it ... but it was the phase of life I was in and now I just have to deal with the consequences :(

I am from Ontario and was considering either McMaster or U of T (which I believe have 2 different philosphies re: the way they accept and train their students).

I too, am looking for a little more autonomy. I truly feel that my nursing experience to present will make me a well-rounded physician ... and I know I'd write the BESSST orders for the interdisciplinary team (and so would you, I'm sure!)

Thanks for your reply and keep in touch (I may have to pick your brain in the future if you don't mind)!

Hey, no I don't mind at all. You can send me a pm with any questions you may have and I'd be happy to help. I actually have my interview at Mac so I know that once you finish your degree you will be eligible to apply. Not so sure about U of T since I never applied there. Best of luck!

Ryerson also has a post-diploma BScN program. In addition, if you are interested in looking at something outside of nursing specifically, you may want to consider their degree-completion program in Health Administration. It will also take you two years to complete your degree in that program, and give you knowledge and experience in another area of medicine.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

• 3 weeks later...

Archived