Premed 101 Forums

How did your MMI interview go at UBC?

How did your MMI interview go at UBC?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How did your MMI interview go at UBC?

• Excellent. Can't be any better!
    • Overall it was good!
    • So-so. Just average performance.
    • Bad. I didn't do so well in several stations.
    • Horrible. No one could have done worst!
    • I have no idea.
    • I don't give a damn!

I actually found MMI very difficult. They asked to talk about things totally irrelevent from medicine. I felt one station was grilling my poetic abilities. n'ways, I talked to other at wine&cheese yesterday, we found that questions are totally different for interviews on different days this weekend. I wonder how ubc plans to standardize our scores if they gave out very different questions on different days, esp this is their first mmi interview.

lol, i know...i kinda panicked when i saw that one..in retrospect, that could've been a good question, but it's hard to get into poetry mode in 2 minutes!...other ppl in my circuit also found it hard.

I had a great time. Was pretty nervous, I think I drank at least 4 bottles of water... gotta love the 'rest station'! :)

I found most of the questions were quite relevant to medicine, although they may not have been clinically based. In fact, I'd say that UBC's questions are more related to medicine that those at the Calgary MMI. And the interviewers at UBC were much more attentive and encouraging (at Cal they looked distracted and completely exhausted).

I definitely felt 'grilled' at certain times, and I couldn't tell if what I was saying was totally off the deep-end, or if being aloof and slightly insistent was simply part of their script. LOL then again, maybe not. Did anyone else feel like they were being tested?

same here...but i was like, hey at least they're giving me direction. :P

I had trouble with at least 2 questions.

On one station, I went on quite a bit, and then the interviewer provided a response that suggested I went off the deep end... then the bell rang. :eek:

On the other, a complicated scenario was given, the prompts seemed to go everywhere, and I wasn't able to read much off the interviewer's expressions. Probably my answers were not well formulated for that one, so I felt some difficulty with the prompts.

Thankfully the other 8 stations were either very well answered or at least answered in a good way (or so I think).

I had trouble with at least 2 questions.

On one station, I went on quite a bit, and then the interviewer provided a response that suggested I went off the deep end... then the bell rang. :eek:

On the other, a complicated scenario was given, the prompts seemed to go everywhere, and I wasn't able to read much off the interviewer's expressions. Probably my answers were not well formulated for that one, so I felt some difficulty with the prompts.

Thankfully the other 8 stations were either very well answered or at least answered in a good way (or so I think).

lol ya i was also busy interpreting this question and the interviewer let me go on and on before letting me know that it was to be interpreted on another level...i was like, u could've told me this half an hour ago :rolleyes: lol and this person was kinda serious-looking so it was hard. :D

i know exactly the interviewer you guys are talking about. completely expressionless and just stared at you like she was stoned. i commented on her in the evaluation...horrible interviewer.

lol i had someone like that too..at one point i just asked a rhetorical question, i was expecting her to nod or smth, but she immediately shrugged her shoulders and said, "i donno"...lol, but most other interviewers were extremely nice and very responsive...i was kinda worried about being interviewed by med students, but they were awesome and some of my favourites.

lol ya i was also busy interpreting the poem question and the interviewer let me go on and on before letting me know that it was to be interpreted on another level...i was like, u could've told me this half an hour ago :rolleyes: lol and this person was kinda serious-looking so it was hard. :D

interesting..because i certainly didn't have this kind of question...they must've had different questions for different days then because all the tracks had the same on the same day

• 10 months later...
lol, i know...i kinda panicked when i saw that one..in retrospect, that could've been a good question, but it's hard to get into poetry mode in 2 minutes!...other ppl in my circuit also found it hard.

Can someone elaborate on the poetry/quote aspect of the MMI? I don't mean to ask what the question was, but what was your impression of what the purpose of this question was? Critical thinking ("what do you think the author meant when...") or a quote on healthcare that we had to reflect upon ("do you disagree or agree with the following statement").

Thanks

Archived