Premed 101 Forums

How did your MMI interview go at UBC?

How did your MMI interview go at UBC?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How did your MMI interview go at UBC?

• Excellent. Can't be any better!
    • Overall it was good!
    • So-so. Just average performance.
    • Bad. I didn't do so well in several stations.
    • Horrible. No one could have done worst!
    • I have no idea.
    • I don't give a damn!

I thought the MMI was pretty interesting. 8/10 interviewers were really nice. I found it hard to read how I was doing. How did it compare for people who went to interviews in past years?

Hi, I felt the same way. Its hard to judge how well you're answering because everything is going by pretty fast and you are just trying to get the content out as much as possible. No time to reflect after the interview. This was my first MMI and it was intersting but Ill save my official judgement until May 15th..haha

Ouch. Were you on the waitlist? Hopefully that means you were oh so close and will get in for sure this year.:D

haha yeah, I was on the waitlist because of my good interview score last year! unfortunately they changed the interview style this year and so I dont have as much confidence anymore :(

haha yeah, I was on the waitlist because of my good interview score last year! unfortunately they changed the interview style this year and so I dont have as much confidence anymore :(

Interesting. So to bring this thread full circle, do you prefer the old format versus the MMI? In the MMI, I don't feel the interviewers were able to get a good idea of who I am or what I have done. They do however, get to see how you solve problems and see you demonstrate your conversation skills. Maybe that is all they are looking to assess in the interview.:confused:

Interesting. So to bring this thread full circle, do you prefer the old format versus the MMI? In the MMI, I don't feel the interviewers were able to get a good idea of who I am or what I have done. They do however, get to see how you solve problems and see you demonstrate your conversation skills. Maybe that is all they are looking to assess in the interview.:confused:

I think it's good how MMI eliminates bias and tests problem solving and critical thinking skills, but I think it's more important for interviews to assess what kind of person you are. You could theoretically go through the entire application process without an opportunity for the adcom to get to know you, except through the personal essay and reference letters. But then again, the person essay can be carefully contructed and proof-read to make you sound like a superhero, and references are selected by the candidate, so I don't think it really gives them a good insight into who you are.

Well.... despite what I think, there are many studies that support MMI over standard panel interview :(

We need a new poll for everyone doing their interview this weekend.

How are they going folks? I interviewed in feb. The post interview self-scrutiny was stressful but the interview itself was great. My mind was running wild during the week after my interview but I have regained my patience and am settling in for the long wait.

I just had the mmi this weekend. most of the interviewers were actually pretty nice. my experience definitely mirrors yours avenir001.

I wonder how big their question pool is though... do you think they use the same questions/topics throughout the whole weekend for all the groups?

goodluck everyone!

I actually found MMI very difficult. They asked to talk about things totally irrelevent from medicine. I felt one station was grilling my poetic abilities. n'ways, I talked to other at wine&cheese yesterday, we found that questions are totally different for interviews on different days this weekend. I wonder how ubc plans to standardize our scores if they gave out very different questions on different days, esp this is their first mmi interview.

________

Live sex webshows

I had a great time. Was pretty nervous, I think I drank at least 4 bottles of water... gotta love the 'rest station'! :)

I found most of the questions were quite relevant to medicine, although they may not have been clinically based. In fact, I'd say that UBC's questions are more related to medicine that those at the Calgary MMI. And the interviewers at UBC were much more attentive and encouraging (at Cal they looked distracted and completely exhausted).

I definitely felt 'grilled' at certain times, and I couldn't tell if what I was saying was totally off the deep-end, or if being aloof and slightly insistent was simply part of their script. LOL then again, maybe not. Did anyone else feel like they were being tested?

I actually found MMI very difficult. They asked to talk about things totally irrelevent from medicine. I felt one station was grilling my poetic abilities. n'ways, I talked to other at wine&cheese yesterday, we found that questions are totally different for interviews on different days this weekend. I wonder how ubc plans to standardize our scores if they gave out very different questions on different days, esp this is their first mmi interview.

plus, its hard to get the correct timing sometimes....

Archived