Premed 101 Forums

ATTN past third year applicants

if it's about discrimination against 3rd years, I don't think there is any. I called admissions and they said they don't discriminate. There are only less 3rd years who get accepted because less apply and tend to have less non academic experiences than they would in 4th year.

I was on the waitlist last year (got rejected in september) even with an NAQ of 11 or so.

What is this theory? would you mind sharing? some of us may be able to give you some input. :)

It doesn't really only pertain to third years...but I came up with the theory studying several third year friends of mine who were accepted/ rejected by UBC med. For third years, I find that by and large people with really good averages (88+) tend to beat out people with okay marks (84-85). So to generalize, I think the "85 is the tops= 25/25" talk goes out the window in the final selection, and in the end a 90 is much better than an 85. That partly explains why one year 8/17 (thereabouts) of accepted third yeras are pharmacology students, who have averages in the low 90's. If AQ really tops out at 25/25, then these people should have not much difference than say a student with 85% average.

Wow, and Masaki, to be on the waitlist your marks must have been really really high!

Wow, my exact score going in was 35.7 with an 85 interview, 8 recommendation. Since you were held on the waitlist until September, you must have been quite high on the list, and the difference between your position and not even getting waitlisted is amazingly small!!

Thanks Masaki and good luck this year!!!

hey guys,

I am planning on applying to UBC next year (3rd year) so I was wondering if you could hook some answers to these Q's...

Ill have ~85%, but I was interested in seeing what kind of NAQ score I would receive. What kind of EC's did you guys have? NAQ score's?

thanks

hey guys,

I am planning on applying to UBC next year (3rd year) so I was wondering if you could hook some answers to these Q's...

Ill have ~85%, but I was interested in seeing what kind of NAQ score I would receive. What kind of EC's did you guys have? NAQ score's?

thanks

I was sitting next to a 3rd year applying to UBC at the interview last weekend. He said that this was the last year that UBC was accepting 3rd year applicants. You may have to look into this to verify it but it's likely you will not be able to apply next year. Perhaps you were just stating that you were in 3rd year this year and therefore would be done your degree next year. Good luck.

I heard about them changing the rule to prevent third years from applying too, but heard that it was reversed. I checked it out for myself, and UBC's admissions website says:

"Applicants applying by September 2008 for entrance in September 2009 must have completed 90 credits and the required prerequisite courses (or equivalents) by April 30, 2009. "

So I think its okay to apply as a third year next year.

Archived