Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Selection

hi there,

i heard from one of my references that they got a call from ubc and were asked further questions about me.. is that a bad thing? i didnt know they did follow-up calls. im hoping its random like when they call some verifiers.. anyone know anything about this?

i don't think its a bad thing...its either random or just to clear something up. still..its pretty scary that they call anyone at all....i thought they just emailed

hi there,

i heard from one of my references that they got a call from ubc and were asked further questions about me.. is that a bad thing? i didnt know they did follow-up calls. im hoping its random like when they call some verifiers.. anyone know anything about this?

Same here, and I've also heard other peoples referees were called. I'm pretty sure its nbd :)

that's pretty incredible actually...because what are the chances that two people on this forum reported calls? it doesn't seem like many applicants are on this forum and for two people to report calls to their referees suggests its probably more common than you think. just curious...can both of you guys share which referee they called? maybe they like calling certain referees ie academic or community etc....

This is news to me...interesting. I'm surprised this speaker was allowed to discuss this information if they are on the evaluation team.

As for calling references...that's normal. I'm under the impression that this is occurs randomly. They verify NAQ entries to make sure things aren't severly overstated or outright false.

Hey all

I went to a talk given by a speaker from UBC med, and she gave a presentation on how UBC selects its applicants. I was quite surprised to hear her say that after the interview, academic and non academic qualities are equally important, with Interview and NAQ comprising non academic qualities. So is she suggesting that post interview it is now approximately

50% AQ

30% Interview

20%NAQ

as compared to the regular canonical formula

25%AQ

25%NAQ

50%Interview

Any ideas guys?

To my knowledge, I thought their evaluation scheme looked more like this:

25% - Academic Average

25% - MCAT

25% - Interview

25% - ECs + Personal Essay + References

correct me if i'm wrong.

Where did you hear this? I was under the impression that MCAT is just a flag.

To my knowledge, I thought their evaluation scheme looked more like this:

25% - Academic Average

25% - MCAT

25% - Interview

25% - ECs + Personal Essay + References

correct me if i'm wrong.

Info from...?

Traditionally the MCAT hasn't been worth a whole lot at UBC, and definitely not a quarter of the grand total. (Although for me personally, it'd be pretty sweet if you were right!)

Guest 02'topaz

testing a theory here...

My personal referee also just notified me that he was contacted. All he was asked was "Did you write so and so a letter?" He said yes and that was the end of it.

Now for those others whose referees have also been contacted, what "additional" questions were they asked? Did they say? Was it like my situation where they were simply asked if they wrote a letter?

My theory is that they may be checking reference letters that came in on paper with no official letterhead? The community and personal references are likely going to be like this. Academic references will almost always be printed on letterhead. Now with so few people responding who really knows whether or not academic references have been contacted, but this is just a theory.

Again it's probably completely random but phone calls just seem excessive.

Guest 02'topaz
Seeing as the reference letters were all submitted online, I am a little confused about your theory. Did your references submit paper letters?

Sorry for the confusion. Yes the letters were submitted online, but I guess UBC thinks since one can put ANY email down to which the request is sent, then they should verify that it was actually sent to the reference and not to "someone" else (i.e the applicant themselves!)? I don't know! Haha just trying to kill time waiting for the final decisions!

Sorry for the confusion. Yes the letters were submitted online' date=' but I guess UBC thinks since one can put ANY email down to which the request is sent, then they should verify that it was actually sent to the reference and not to "someone" else (i.e the applicant themselves!)? I don't know! Haha just trying to kill time waiting for the final decisions![/quote']

Yeah it makes sense that they would check more referees this year since you could essecially make up an email address and send the form to yourself, like you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if they check the majority rather than just a few randomly.

Guest 02'topaz
Yeah it makes sense that they would check more referees this year since you could essecially make up an email address and send the form to yourself, like you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if they check the majority rather than just a few randomly.

Agreed! typing this to fill character requirement...

Archived