Premed 101 Forums

Cornell University in Qatar

On 1/11/2021 at 4:22 PM, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Reviving an old, old, old thread here - to discuss this program from a 2021 perspective.

Crucially, it seems they have dropped something this thread mentions a couple of times, i.e. the school only being for those already in Qatar. It seems like they're really promoting this whole "come from America to here" vibe. Ex. a couple of their posted FAQs are to do with culture shock/adjusting to living in a primarily Muslim country - would not be FAQs if they were recruiting mainly Muslim Qataris. (Screenshot from their website is below)

Has anyone reading this rn heard anything about this program?

Reading through their website, it seems pretty legitimate; it's apparently the only overseas medical school to actually grant a US MD and to teach students in a way that has Step 1 preparation in mind.

They also actually require the MCAT (unlike a fair number of international schools), which was a plus in my book. But they have relatively low admissions stats (3.58 GPA and 505 MCAT) despite a high volume of applicants (7000+ for only 700 interview spots, let alone 106 actual seats in the program), which is odd and deterring.

Considering it because I have family in Doha. I would want to gain residency and practice in either the US or Canada, though.

Screenshot_2021-01-11 Requirements Weill Cornell Medicine - Qatar.png

I got accepted to WCMQ about a decade ago as a Canadian with no previous ties to Qatar. I was in the process of moving there when I heard back from Canadian schools few weeks later and got an acceptance here. So back then it was totally possible. I know of another Canadian who went there and then matched in the US and has since moved back to Canada to practice. 

I am not sure if they have added additional requirements.