Premed 101 Forums

13.5 credits

GewoW

I'm in IHI and registering for my last year. The way I have it planned out is to do 13.5 credits in my 1st semester and 16.5 in my second. The thing is, the stupid lab course is only 4.5 credits a semester, and I KNOW I will be putting in much more work than that's worth, which makes the 2nd 16.5 semester look...well...interesting! The problem I come to you guys with today is: will the admissions committee overlook my application if I do 13.5 credits in my 1st semester, especially when 4.5 of those won't even have a grade till the end of the year? Will they force me to have to take 16.5 in the 1st? I emailed them and am still waiting for a response, but decided to come here to see if I can get a faster one.

Thanks guys.

I was in the IHI years ago and I had the same problem. It will be fine because you will be taking 16.5 credits the following semester. Unless you do bad during that semester...showing that you can't handle a huge course load. However, surprisingly that was my best semester ever, having a 3.9 GPA! So hopefully it will be the same for you :)

I was in the IHI years ago and I had the same problem. It will be fine because you will be taking 16.5 credits the following semester. Unless you do bad during that semester...showing that you can't handle a huge course load. However, surprisingly that was my best semester ever, having a 3.9 GPA! So hopefully it will be the same for you :)

and you applied mid 3rd yr ihi?

(thx)

I had one semester at 12 credits, although I also had 3 semesters at 18 credits, and I got an interview just fine. My wife had 2 semesters below 15, and had to write a letter explaining why, but she got in 2 years ago. We both went to McGill. If in doubt, it's an easy question for the admissions office. I think it's even on their FAQ page.

Well the med admissions gave me...what I expected. The SAME answer as on their website lol!

Good afternoon,

The Admissions Office screens for students who complete their degree/program in the allotted time, namely at an average of 15 credits per semester or the equivalent of 15 semester hours. The purpose for this is to see if the applicant can handle a full, intensive, set four-year medical curriculum. It is also to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly. Applicants who extend the length of their program (e.g. take 5 years to complete a four-year degree) significantly reduce their chance of acceptance. As a general rule of thumb, the average course load of regular sessions should calculate to no less than 14.8 (15.0 is recommended). Applicants who have a lower number, or who have conducted part-time studies at any point in their program/degree, may wish to include an explanation as part of a separate letter of extenuating circumstances. Applicants who have followed the syllabus of their program, yet still have more than one instance of less than 15 semester hours should submit the program/degree requirements for their application dossier, giving a explanation of their program/degree outline from their institution.

wow...

Why don`t you call them? That's what I did last year and it was very useful. I have not applied yet but I want to apply next year if I don't get in at UdeM this year. The lady told me it would be fine, that however they wouldn't want you to take 12 credits or less EVERY semester. She said as long as the total for the year is 30 it's fine (fall+winter, summer classes would be a different story though).

I was in a similar situation in my first year (U1) with less than 15 credits that semester (14 credits). I called the admissions office and asked them and got the same answer as you. Being the paranoid person that I am :P i decided to add another course to not give mcgill med any reason to lower the score on my application even though I was told I could submit a letter explaining why that semester was 1 credit below the required magic number of 15. If I were in your shoes, I would add maybe a 1 or 2 credit independent studies course so that you have 15 or maybe a bird course to get to the rightnumber of credits. It's your choice and you could stick with the 13.5 but if you don't get it, it would be horrible to always think that maybe somehow that 13.5 didn't work in your favor.

As others have pointed out, there are people who are in my class who have less than 15 but I didn't want to take any chances with my application (and I was applying to other schools that also needed a 15 credit/full course load)

I was in a similar situation in my first year (U1) with less than 15 credits that semester (14 credits). I called the admissions office and asked them and got the same answer as you. Being the paranoid person that I am :P i decided to add another course to not give mcgill med any reason to lower the score on my application even though I was told I could submit a letter explaining why that semester was 1 credit below the required magic number of 15. If I were in your shoes, I would add maybe a 1 or 2 credit independent studies course so that you have 15 or maybe a bird course to get to the rightnumber of credits. It's your choice and you could stick with the 13.5 but if you don't get it, it would be horrible to always think that maybe somehow that 13.5 didn't work in your favor.

As others have pointed out, there are people who are in my class who have less than 15 but I didn't want to take any chances with my application (and I was applying to other schools that also needed a 15 credit/full course load)

I see your point, but I also have these issue about my 13.5 credits

1- its because of an irregular 4.5 credit lab project, which I KNOW I will be putting more work in than the 4.5 credits is worth

2- it evens out at the end of the year with 16.5 credits, but that happens to be when I apply, so they wouldn't be able and see my result of that semester.

3- i may get a u3 rep position, making my time tight, as well as a ta position, so...I think 13.5 credits would be more than enough given the above.

Anyone else think so? please chime in

I'm in IHI and registering for my last year. The way I have it planned out is to do 13.5 credits in my 1st semester and 16.5 in my second. The thing is, the stupid lab course is only 4.5 credits a semester, and I KNOW I will be putting in much more work than that's worth, which makes the 2nd 16.5 semester look...well...interesting! The problem I come to you guys with today is: will the admissions committee overlook my application if I do 13.5 credits in my 1st semester, especially when 4.5 of those won't even have a grade till the end of the year? Will they force me to have to take 16.5 in the 1st? I emailed them and am still waiting for a response, but decided to come here to see if I can get a faster one.

Thanks guys.

Obviously, you need to speak to admissions first hand before you make any decisions. However, I do not think that it will be a problem. I took 20 credits in my first semester of Uni, & because of that, I am taking 13.5 for each of my last 2 semesters (4 courses/semester, one in each semester that is worth 4.5 credits). On top of that, when I sent my transcripts to McGill, I only had 2 grades for the Fall 2007 semester, because 2 of the 4 courses that I has taken that semester were full year courses. I called admissions about the issue, and I was told that, as long as your average # credits/semester = 15, you are ok (mine actually averaged to 15.33 I think, so I was fine). I did not ask about the 2 missing grades, but I was granted an interview with no questions asked. Given my experience, I am quite sure that you will be ok. But, again, I would check with admissions to be certain.

Good luck :)

Archived