Premed 101 Forums

How much money can be loaned?

Guest hringrose

Guest hringrose

Hi,

I am considering applying to meds in Australia. I realize that the tuition is about $30 000 alone. Is it possible to obtain enough loans to fully cover your expenses? I am from Ontario.

Also, I am in my final year of my degree program so I don't have work experience. Would that prevent me from being able to apply for permanent residence.

I would really like to talk to someone who has either gone through the loan process or who has become a permanent resident.

Thanks

Guest redshifteffect

You will likely not get enough loans from the government to cover your loans...you may have to look into private loans from the banks.

To obtain a PR You will not need some work experience in your field unless you are applying in a profession that has been listed as critically in need, otherwise you can try applying to state that has been assessed by the gov't as in need of skilled workers...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In terms of gaining PR (permanent resident) status by being trained in a profession that is critically in need in Australia, if you happen to have training in coiffuring, then you're good to go. One of the professions that are currently in critical need in Australia, aside from a couple of types of computer programming, nursing, etc., is hairdressing. (No kidding.) :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest redshifteffect

Are you considered "independent" by the gov't? Because if you are then you may not have to rely on your parents income when they calculate how much loans you will get. If you aren't in the independed category than you will likely not get very much, but that all depends on your parents income.

Some schools offer bursuries ie sydney offers 25% reduction in fees but I believe the cut off was high this year...MCAT higher than 35...

In terms of getting a PR you will have to go to http://www.immi.gov.au and take the points test. You would qualify as an offshore general skilled migrant.

If you meet the points test than you shouldn't have any problems getting a PR. Once you get that PR you will have to try and apply to any med school in either Australia or New Zealand. To get into a med school that is post grad (ie 4 years) you will have to write the GAMSAT for undergradute schools u will require the UMAT the UMAT is very easy (puzzles and other sorts of things) whereas the GAMSAT is comparable to the MCAT - needless to say you will probably get into the system as an undergrad med student ie in the 5 year or 6 year programs.

I have know Australian citizens who have gone to england for a year and then transfered back into Australian med schools - this is much easier to do here than in Canadian or US schools. However you will probably get into an Under grad school this way.

Archived