Premed 101 Forums

what should i do

Ariel

hi folks!

just a Q, I'm not sure what I should do about my med apps. I did a bachelors and got 3.0, 2.8, then 3.3, and then 3.7 gpa for the 4 years. the 3.3 and 3.7 are full-time course loads with 10 courses.

then I went onto a masters, and got maybe a 4.0 in one course - which is all that I took.

So, now I'm debating: 2nd undergrad degree or a PhD, or 1 year just taking courses....what do you think and why?

Muchos gracias!

hi I'm in a similar position. I did an undergrad with cgpa 3.0, and then a masters with grad two courses at 4.0. I felt that doing a PhD would not increase my chances at getting into med schools, so I have decided to go do a second undergrad (which will only take 2 years). Doing a PhD will only give me an advantage at Toronto, and for the other schools, the MSc is enough to show my research experience. More research at the PhD level will not get me interviews (in my opinion). I believe that med schools are initially looking at your numbers (undergrad gpa and MCAT) to decide if you will get an interview. So I thought that I need to increase my GPA by going back to do a second undergrad. It's not something I'm looking forward to, but at least by getting my GPA up with two years above 3.7 will help me get interviews at Queens and Western (which I have never been able to apply to due to my current low GPA).

Archived