Premed 101 Forums

The city of Ottawa: absolutely sick or totally lame?

Werd,

I've heard very polarized opinions on the city. It's either amazing or ****ty. In the few times that I've been to the city, I've found it to be decent to pretty good.

What do you like about the city?

what do you not like about the city?

Things I like are:

Not too big- so you can get from one end of the city reasonably quickly, it isn`t super crowded, and since I ride...I like that it doesn`t take me that long to get out of the city to my barn (realize that is not a pro for everyone!)

Great paths along the canal for walking/runing/biking, Gatineau park nearby for hiking etc. Skating on the canal in the winter (actually gives you something to do in those winer months!)

Big enough that you get some variety in terms of restaurants, ethnic stores etc. Not as much as T.O. but way more than a place like London for example.

Combo of francos and anglos around...can use your French IF you want to

Generally a clean city and summers are generally smog free since I've been hear...so you can actually breathe and go outside.

Close to Montreal for weekends away or shows etc..

Things I don`t like:

There really isn`t anything I don`t like. I wish there was a TNT....but I hear there should be one in the near future! I wish I could find a good car mechanic...there must be one here somewhere!

I'm guessing you like The Market whateveritis? :confused:

Is there any reason for anyone to call the city lame? How's the city's selection of outdoors activity?

Do they have nice night life?

The Byward Market's a neighborhood with lots of restaurants, clubs, specialty shops, etc. In the late spring-early fall, there's a farmer's market and lots of outdoor vendors. Love the Market!

No way is this city lame! I'm totally biased 'cause I've lived here my whole life and I love it... Lots of outdoor activities. From downtown, you're no more than half an hour away from Gatineau Park (wonderful in all seasons), skiing, skating, lakes, hiking, etc. There are parks everywhere, tennis courts, bike/rollerblade paths, people here run no matter what the weather is like...

Fairly good nightlife (not like Toronto or Montreal though), lots of spots in the Market and on Elgin.

• 1 month later...

I agree - it's not Toronto or Montreal for nightlife, but there's still a lot to do, and there's a decent variety of places to go, especially around the market and Elgin.

Also, Toronto and Montreal aren't that far, and there are usually a fair share of people that are willing to do weekend trips.

As for outdoors life, it's better than any other city I've lived in... there's skiing at Tremblant, rafting nearby, paintballing, zip lining, cave crawling, and hiking in gatineau park... plus half the city is usually running or biking along the canal. There are a lot of bike trails around to... and canal skating in the winter.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

What can I say that hasn't been said already?

Ottawa the city is amazing. It's not the best at any one aspect, but it's got a great mix of everything: nightlight, cultural diversity, and outdoors activity. The size is not too big and not too small, and if you live near the Transitway, you're set (the city is still in desperate need of a metro/LRT though).

I'm definitely gonna miss the place when I move out this fall.

What can I say that hasn't been said already?

Ottawa the city is amazing. It's not the best at any one aspect, but it's got a great mix of everything: nightlight, cultural diversity, and outdoors activity. The size is not too big and not too small, and if you live near the Transitway, you're set (the city is still in desperate need of a metro/LRT though).

I'm definitely gonna miss the place when I move out this fall.

He speaks the truth. As long as you don't need to commute long distances by public transit, it's great...getting from one corner of the city to the other takes just as long in Ottawa as it does in Toronto, only the distance is like a fifth of T.O. You're gonna love the transit in T.O. after this, haha.

Archived