Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Meeting ---- Ireland

Guest avaid

Guest avaid

Hey guys,

For all you out there in toronto and surronding areas we all should meet up before leaving for Ireland. I know we will be either at Dublin or Cork. I was thinkin of the places where we could meet and the only place i could think off is Dave and Busters, the one on Hwy 7. If anybody has suggestions of a different location please be free to post it. And also any suggestions of the day.

Take care everybody and hope to see youll soon

Avaid

Edited the title to get rid of the all-caps. Please don't post in all capital letters; it's tough to read. Thx! -Ian

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I don't mean to stick my 1/4-Irish nose in, but why not get into the mood with a wee stint at the James Joyce or the like?!! You might find one bartender at least who can teach you some Gaelic. (I'd teach you how to say "cheers", but have no clue how to spell it.)

Congratulations. You'll love Ireland! :)

Kirsteen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Badkarma25

hi all,

i'm definitely up for a meeting before heading to ireland...incidentally, i'm also living in merville 6-6-3, so if anyone else is living in merville 6-6 (i guess 1, 2, 4, or 5) then drop me a line cuz we're roomates.

Hey guys/girls,

Just wondering if anyone knows what they are doing about phones (mobile), medical insurance, internet connections, flights, what to bring etc. to Ireland? It's definitely getting down to crunch time and if anyone has plans, I'm all ears...(I'm looking at getting a cell phone package or something but there seems to be a million different rates out there..)

p.s. for anyone going to UCC, there is an excellent website: http://www.ucc.ie/medstud. that is catered to North Americans studying meds at UCC... gives info on books, living in Cork, residencies afterwards in Canada and the States, elective timelines, etc. from the STUDENT's perspective..just thought I'd share...:D

Guest Badkarma25

hey all,

as for mobile phones, AIB (allied irish bank) gives out free phones (pay as you go) when you open a bank account, at least they do in dublin so i'm sure cork is the same. medical insurance is expensive, like 500 for the year but it covers everything including repatriation (evacuation). you do have to return to canada every so often for it to remain valid however. two biggest ones are blue cross and liberty health (check in the yellow pages under health insurance)..i'm not buying any...i was told by the international student advisor at ucd that seeing the doctor on campus is free, and you only ahve to pay for prescriptions (obviously)...off campus (ie not student health) doctors cost around 40 euros...dentists and optometrists/glasses are expensive, and insurance plans don't cover that anyway...if you were to be hospitalized, i was told that you pay 40 euros a day up to a maximum of 400 euros, regardless of how long you are in the hospital. there are 2 forms of insurance you can get in ireland, but i don't have much info on them...i think i have a file that was sent to me by UCD, if you want it just drop me an e-mail at badkarma_25@hotmail.com and i'll send it to you.

airline tickets are cheapest through travelcuts, get yourself an isic card (16 bucks)...check out http://www.travelcuts.ca for the nearest one to you. i was told not to bring books, you can get them there for the same prices or even cheaper second hand. internet is very expensive, i know DSL (similar to bell high speed) is something like 85 euros per month...i'm going to use the connections at school....i think that's everything for now...will post again if i have more info, hope everyone else does the same.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Evasive Beauty

I am going to UCC this September aswell. I was wondering when you guys are thinking of leaving for Ireland?

Also Are you guys planning to come back to Canada or practise in the US?

Sincerely

Evasive

Hey Evasive Beauty,

I'm headed to UCC this Sunday (August 24th)...hopefully this blackout stuff won't affect flights...I know it's early, but my family wants to come and they are all teachers and have to start school after labour day...anyone else going early?

Guest The Evasive Beauty

Hey DMAC,

My friend and I are leaving for Ireland on September 1st. Should be in Cork on September 2nd. We are from Vancouver B.C. See you in two weeks.

Sincerely,

Evasive

Guest Badkarma25

you people are leaving early...well ok not that early i guess lol...i guess it just struck me cuz i have so much to do still...i'm leaving for dublin on sept.6 (ucd)...i have a friend going to cork so you might all see me kicking around (also cuz the heineken ireland brewery is located in cork)...everyone excited?

Guest Badkarma25

hey there evasive beauty,

i don't get less excited the closer i get to leaving, just more nervous...mainly about money...it's going to be SO expensive...i know it's too late to worry about it now and there's really no point because it's what i've always wanted to do, but still!

Hey Evasive/Badkarma,

I'm here in Cork, and I can tell you that I love it here already!! People are totally cool and the guinness is flowing!! You're right about one thing though, stuff IS expensive (eg. 83 cents/ liter gas...and that's euro coins!!) Anyways, if you want to know anything else about Ireland (or Cork in particular..) I'll be watching the forums periodically...evasive, I think you said you were coming to Cork...one note of caution...there is MAJOR construction of the roads right now around the city (which is actually an island itself, kind of like Manhattan)which should be going on for the next three months..it's all in preparation for the 2005 festivals...so get a cabbie who knows his way around the city so you won't get lost! Other than that, I'll see you sooner than later!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived