Premed 101 Forums

Anyone interested in research?

Guest Magic

I'm applying for entry in 2002, and I don't really have an interest in practicing medicine. Rather, I want to go into research. If I don't get into a Canadian school, does anyone know about international prospects for those specializing in research? I'm guessing that I wouldn't have to worry about the residency requirments that practicing MD's would have to. Does anyone know more about this?

Guest Ian Wong

You know what, I really don't know. I'd always assumed that people who were interested in going directly into research would do the PhD route. I assumed that doing grad studies would give you better background in writing grants and papers, and learning to manage a lab.

Certainly, you won't get any of that type of teaching in med school unless you do it on your own time.

On the other hand, I could see a really good case for making numerous connections to prominent people in the medical field, and being able to dig into a lot of clinical work that might be done in a hospital or hospital-affliated center.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived