Premed 101 Forums

I've just realized something

I'm graduating very soon and realized that after graduation, I probably won't see many of my classmates ever again.

The unfortunate thing is, I really could not care less.

In retrospect, there is really nobody in the class I felt I related to. I kept a good life outside of class, but while in class I never had the feeling that I actually knew anyone there.

I'm not saying that it is anyone's fault. It's just that I didn't fit in with anyone at all -it's like the admissions committee put me in the wrong year. I have always gotten along fine with people from the years above and below me, and people outside of my class in general.

Has anyone else felt like this before - like you never really were a part of your class, and now that it's ending you're apathetic or even kind of relieved?

I'm graduating very soon and realized that after graduation, I probably won't see many of my classmates ever again.

The unfortunate thing is, I really could not care less.

In retrospect, there is really nobody in the class I felt I related to. I kept a good life outside of class, but while in class I never had the feeling that I actually knew anyone there.

I'm not saying that it is anyone's fault. It's just that I didn't fit in with anyone at all -it's like the admissions committee put me in the wrong year. I have always gotten along fine with people from the years above and below me, and people outside of my class in general.

Has anyone else felt like this before - like you never really were a part of your class, and now that it's ending you're apathetic or even kind of relieved?

Kinesiology is a pretty tight faculty at Western.... they also have a Kin-based floor is residence first year..... I made nearly all my friends from my own residence and closer to the end of third year started realizing how close everyone was in Kin.... I knew people but wasn't buddy buddy with anyone... so I joined council and really started volunteering in my faculty.... but to my dismay everyone was so tight knit that even though I always got along with them all I didn't feel like part of their group and was much more happy to do my own thing with my friends from residence....

Funny part was I was probably much more involved with the Ivey business crowd due to a roommate of mine holding a lot of their functions and parties at my house....

I made my attempt to get in with Kin.... it just wasn't for me....

That said I'm hoping medschool granted an acceptance somewhere will be different not sure though....

After two whole years in engineering, I really only keep in touch with one or two of my former classmates - and even then, not frequently. And there weren't many more that I really would/could have meshed well with. When I switched into my second undergrad, it was completely different -- I felt I knew three times as many people after only a few months. Each class (and program) certainly has its own personality, no doubt!

And yeah -- I'm relieved to have left engineering. Yeeesh.

sorry for being out of topic.. but can i ask a question?

um.. im in grade 12 (too early i think for me to get into med lol) but i just wanted to know that if ur doing an undergraduate degree in lifesci/biomed.. and its a 4 yr degree

if u do the MCAT in 2nd yr and apply in third yr... and if u do get accepted.. is it possible for u to go straight into med skool in ur fourth yr of undergrad or do u still have to finish it and then go to the med skool?

any thoughts/answers greatly appreciated :P

You should post this in the general premed discussion forum.

sorry for being out of topic.. but can i ask a question?

um.. im in grade 12 (too early i think for me to get into med lol) but i just wanted to know that if ur doing an undergraduate degree in lifesci/biomed.. and its a 4 yr degree

if u do the MCAT in 2nd yr and apply in third yr... and if u do get accepted.. is it possible for u to go straight into med skool in ur fourth yr of undergrad or do u still have to finish it and then go to the med skool?

any thoughts/answers greatly appreciated :P

U r a freak! that is grossly off topic.

But back on topic. I spent four years with my nursing class (and we did some totally %$^@ed up things together, more than other professions i'm sure. and since graduation (2005) i have maybe ran into a handful of them. we definitely don't hang out anymore. My point being that that is life. U don't always keep in contact with those you went to school with (its not quite like high school). Yeah in a way it sucks, but i am sure you have met a ton of other cool people along your travels.

My program...doesn't feel quite so cozy. Made some friends, but I find it hard to get close with anyone that much. Most of my closest undergrad friends are from other programs. Hopefully med will be better.

And grad...how are you supposed to have bonding time lol...only w/ people from your lab.

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends. I don't really hang out with my high school friends. There's the occasional email/facebook message or maybe the get-together every year or so, but most of my closest friends are from first-year undergrad. And hopefully, as the years go on...med school :)

I guess i am in the minority in that i basically don't have any friends that attend univeristy at all. I kind of like it, talking about school and grades and stuff is boring anyway. most of my friends just want to party on the weekends anyway (which i am usually up for.....up to a point).

all the people i hang out with in school are just acquaintances, we never do really cool stuff together or anything.

I am in biology at western, but I don't really know anyone there.

I mainly hang out with the Math students, they are just more my type.

I actually don't think I know a single person in biology that personally. I don't really think it's a big deal. Your field of study shoudln't define your friends just as your choice of cuisine doesn't.

Archived