Premed 101 Forums

Pathway to Residency in Canada for an IMG

Hey folks,

I'm an IMG with a Canadian Permanent Residency and am interested in pursuing residency in Canada.

However the process seems so varied and complicated depending on the province.

Can someone outline the steps to obtain a residency post ?

If I understood correctly, for Quebec I will need to do MCCEE , QI and QII in order to be eligible for Carms.

Is that correct ?

Does anyone have any experience in that field ?

Thanks

Hi!

Yes, In general you are right but that is not it. You have to attend the College des medicines du Quebec monthly presentation to get all up-to-date info and ask all the questions that are applicable to your personal situation.

Just a hint: in irder to HAVE A CHANCE TO GET A RESIDENCY POSITION in Qc all your scores must be superb, i.e. comparable or higher then those of Canadian applicants for the same position. If you do not speak French you'd better think it over three times - IMGs rarely do residency in DT Montreal, most probably you will get somewhere else where majority of your patients are Francophones.

GL!

s.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys

I am an IMG with permanent residency in Canada, I 'm just about to complete all my steps in the USMLE and I will like to do residency in either Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, preferably in Canada. Does anybody know any universities in Canada accepting just the USMLE only for the above-mentioned programs. If let me know all the process involved. Thanks

Just a quick clarification - based on the links posted above (thanks ploughboy) and my own personal knowledge (I've done quite a bit of research into IMG requirements because I know someone going through it), you must write the MCCEE (Evaluating Exam) but not the MCCQE1.

The Qualifying Exam Part I (MCCQE I) is NOT a requirement to apply for residency. The first link above (CEHPEA) requires the MCCQE1 for their own application and so you can be evaluated by them. Most residency programs I looked into (specifically Family Medicine in Ontario) do not require the CEHPEA evaluation but just recommend it.

If you check out carms.ca - click English - then go to Program Descriptions under the Main Residency Match link, you can search individual program requirements (see the IMG section in each description).

Basically you MUST write the MCCEE and it's recommended to write the QE1 and get the CEHPEA evaluation by the programs I looked into.

There's also : http://www.healthforceontario.ca/ - although I haven't been through this site it's supposed to be helpful for IMGs.

Let me know if any of the above needs clarification.

Haha, I hate studying... when will it end ?!

Also a further clarification - I said that you don't need the QE1 to APPLY for residency but you *may* need it before starting residency (just like the Canadian grads do in order to sign their own orders etc)

That being said, Cdn grads who fail the QE1 (which is rare, but apparently does happen) can still start residency but have some limitations on what they can do and have to re-write it later

• 1 year later...

Dear prospective/current SJSM students. As an alumni of SJSM and current Family Medicine resident in Winnipeg, I occasionally receive e-mails regarding the process of obtaining a residency in Canada as an IMG. Please follow the link below for the step-by-step guide I created for this process. Keep in mind that the pathways are fluid and certain details change on an annual basis.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information--I am more than happy to help in any way I can!

Good Luck,

D.Klein, M.D.

Family Medicine Resident, PGY1

University of Manitoba, Winnipeg

LINK: http://davidklein.org/Pathway_PG.pdf

For full information on SJSM's basic sciences and clerkships follow the link below and click on the pdf in that post:

http://www.valuemd.com/st-james-medical-school/210937-pathway-residency-canada-sjsm-students.html

• 4 months later...

Hi there! I am currently an M2 at a canadian university. I've received several recommendations to write my USMLEs since I am interested in a competitive specialty (ENT) and it would be great to have several options available. The issue we are facing in canada is that the gov't has increased the number of seats in med school over the years I matriculated, while maintaining the same number of residency spots, It will be to my benefit to expand the pool of schools I can apply to.

My questions

I know the USMLE is important, but to what extent? Everything is pass/fail in canada, with no class ranking (not even in clerkship). Residency evaluation is based on research, elective performance, and reference letters.So the only two parameters that would be used to measure me are 1) research, 2) electives, and 3) the Step 1 score. Will a lot of research and a solid step 1 score help make it likely to get my residency of choice? :confused:

• 7 months later...

Hi guys...

I am an IMG, i'm about to get the canadian permanent residency. Does anybody know how residency spots are looking for IMG? Do I have an advantage if I have de permanent residency? Or they only care about you graduating outside of Canada.

Thank you :)

Hi guys...

I am an IMG, i'm about to get the canadian permanent residency. Does anybody know how residency spots are looking for IMG? Do I have an advantage if I have de permanent residency? Or they only care about you graduating outside of Canada.

Once you are a permanent resident / citizen, you may apply for Canadian residencies through our matching system (called CaRMS). Non-Canadians may NOT match through CaRMS. There are not a lot of residencies offered to IMGs (most of them are reserved for graduates of Canadian medical schools), and competition is fierce.

Read this WHOLE website through THOROUGHLY.

http://carms.ca/

Information on numbers of residency positions for IMGs:

https://w1c.e-carms.ca/pdws2012R1-1/jsp/pd.do?p=p1&m=1

Requirements for application to CaRMS:

http://carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_e.shtml and http://carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml

Statistics on matching:

http://carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_11_e.shtml

Again, read the WHOLE website through very, very carefully.

Hi guys...

While trying to get a residency spot, consider applying to a Canadian MD school.

Salut à tous. pouvez vous s.v.p me conseiller que faire si je veux recommencer les études de médecine ici au Canada???

Je suis un I.M.Gde la Russi avec un G.P.A de 3,7 sur 4.

J'ai tenté cette année à laval, mais sans succès car après le calcul, ma cote R a donné 27,3 (????), donc refus.

y a t'il un moyen d'augmenter ma cote R en faisant un master ou bacc en ?????

ou quels sont les universités qui ne reduisent pas les GPA???

MERCI d'avance et bonne chance pour ceux qui sont encore dans la course...

Hi to everyone.

can you please advice me if i want to apply for medical school from the beginning here in Canada...

i am an IMG from Russia with a G.P.A of 3,7/4.

I tried this year at laval, but didn't get trough.

Can you please advice me which universities can actually accept an IMG to begin?? or i should do a masters or undergraduate program over here to increase my chances?? if yes so which ones???

thanks to you guys and good luck...

Salut à tous. pouvez vous s.v.p me conseiller que faire si je veux recommencer les études de médecine ici au Canada???

Je suis un I.M.Gde la Russi avec un G.P.A de 3,7 sur 4.

J'ai tenté cette année à laval, mais sans succès car après le calcul, ma cote R a donné 27,3 (????), donc refus.

y a t'il un moyen d'augmenter ma cote R en faisant un master ou bacc en ?????

ou quels sont les universités qui ne reduisent pas les GPA???

MERCI d'avance et bonne chance pour ceux qui sont encore dans la course...

Hi to everyone.

can you please advice me if i want to apply for medical school from the beginning here in Canada...

i am an IMG from Russia with a G.P.A of 3,7/4.

I tried this year at laval, but didn't get trough.

Can you please advice me which universities can actually accept an IMG to begin?? or i should do a masters or undergraduate program over here to increase my chances?? if yes so which ones???

thanks to you guys and good luck...

All universities accept IMGs for residencies, but chances vary from province to province. Generally imgs from UK and Aus have better chances than everybody else, but its still very very competitive.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys !

I am also an IMG, I'm about to get the canadian permanent residency. And I have already done my speciality in Switzerland in genral surgery, actually sent to Roxal College of Surgeons for equivalence (recognition).

My big problem is that in general surgery a position seems rather complicated to find, I want only in Quebec (because my canadian spouse does not want to move in an english speaking side) so I am thinking seriously to do family medecine as a 2nd residency.

I am doing my LMCC exams (MCCEE already done and MCCQE part 1 is fixed in october), but I am still working as a surgeon in Switzerland and my medical studies are long ago (1998-2004), I have good medical knowledges, but my results will not be very up.... I will only pass them..

So what can I do, I cannot go there and do pizza boy after having been payed 130k/y for the last 2-3 years ?!

What do you advise me ?

Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Hi there! I am currently an M2 at a canadian university. I've received several recommendations to write my USMLEs since I am interested in a competitive specialty (ENT) and it would be great to have several options available. The issue we are facing in canada is that the gov't has increased the number of seats in med school over the years I matriculated, while maintaining the same number of residency spots, It will be to my benefit to expand the pool of schools I can apply to.

My questions

I know the USMLE is important, but to what extent? Everything is pass/fail in canada, with no class ranking (not even in clerkship). Residency evaluation is based on research, elective performance, and reference letters.So the only two parameters that would be used to measure me are 1) research, 2) electives, and 3) the Step 1 score. Will a lot of research and a solid step 1 score help make it likely to get my residency of choice? :confused:

This is late but maybe useful for others. The USMLE is very important for US residencies. It is used to compare people across schools. In the US, there are schools that are also pure P/F so you don't have to worry about lacking grades there. PDs judge your performance on the USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK as well as your Reference Letters and Elective performance. They will also look at your research and they do care about prestige of your institution.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If anyone who is studying in Australia or knowledgeable about the healthcare system there, could please shed some light on doing residency in Australia it would be greatly appreciated. How challenging is it for a Canadian studying at an Australian school to get into a specialty through the commonwealth internship route?

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2018 at 1:02 PM, Sickofitall said:

If anyone who is studying in Australia or knowledgeable about the healthcare system there, could please shed some light on doing residency in Australia it would be greatly appreciated. How challenging is it for a Canadian studying at an Australian school to get into a specialty through the commonwealth internship route?

Hey so unfortunately getting an Australian residency is virtually impossible for IMGs, even if you are Australian. There are many Aussies in my program who can't get back to Australia to do their residency so they are instead aiming for the UK to become qualified and will go back to Oz after.

However, if you want to WORK in Australia as a doctor, if you do your residency in Canada or the UK for example, you can go there to work after.

Archived