Premed 101 Forums

Carribean Med (a good idea or not)

Guest Tiger123

Guest Tiger123

Anyone here know of people who went to carribean med schools and landed a residence spot in Canada or the US? What is the percentage???

Thanks

I am currently in Canada so it would be great if anyone could put in some input.

I received a brochure from St. George's University (it's located in Grenada) about a month after I received my MCAT scores. Anyway the point is that I did some research into whether it would be a prudent idea for me, a Canadian, to go down to the Carribean to do med school. Basically, my opinion is if you are interested in being able to get a residency in Canada than your best option is to avoid them. The major problem about going to these schools is the question of where you are going to be able to do residency. Often times in the US, they give priority residencies to students graduating from mainland US and second priority to med school such as those based elsewhere (atleast this is the drift I got from asking the admissions people at this particular school). In most cases, each Carribean school probably has special arrangement with certain hospitals based in the US so that they get atleast equal treatment. At St. George's University, you have the benefit of being able to learn the British/European approach to medicine alongside the typical North American approach. I'm not sure about other Carribean schools but at St. George's med school, you would be able to do residencies in the UK after you gradaute because of the special arrangements they have with those hospitals in the UK. When I asked them about Canada, the admissions person was a little more hesitant about that particular situation. They basically told me that it would definetly be more difficult for me to be able to find a residency in Canada but it's not entirely impossible either because a few of their Canadian graduates were able to find residencies back home. Whoah, I guess this is getting long! :) In the end, the decision belongs to you and where you would want to practice medicine. I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers!

Archived