Premed 101 Forums

Why Become A Doctor

I wanted to be a doctor to avoid getting a PhD and pipetting for the rest of my life

To quote (as best I can recall) the hilarious McMaster video they showed this year, "No other career offers such prestige and access to prescription painkillers as medicine."

• 4 weeks later...
as Dr.Cox from Scrubs pionted out, it's the 5Cs

cash, cars, condos, chicks, and............. chicks.

<3 Scrubs.

I think picking up chicks in the bar would be easier if I said "I was in med school." When I tell them I'm in biological sciences, they stop talking to me.

QQ.

Less QQ, more pew pew!

XD Scrubs is great.....

Honestly, right now I don't even know how I would answer that question...Its just how I feel. I want to be a doctor so I can help people, in some way, however small. I think it would be a very engaging career...

XD Scrubs is great.....

Honestly, right now I don't even know how I would answer that question...Its just how I feel. I want to be a doctor so I can help people, in some way, however small. I think it would be a very engaging career...

I can respect that, but over the next year or so you should do some soul searching.

Allow me to play the devils advocate. Of course you want to help people as a doctor. But why do it as a doctor? There are many professions which allow you to help a person. Teachers, nurses, police, clinical research etc. etc. ;)

Considering the implications, both good and bad which entering the profession of medicine is bound to have on the next 40-50 years of ones life I think the adcoms want to make sure 110% that one knows why and what it means. Thus, being able to explain your motivation, whatever it might be, clearly and genuinely is key in my opinion.

Just some food for thought.

I can respect that, but over the next year or so you should do some soul searching.

Allow me to play the devils advocate. Of course you want to help people as a doctor. But why do it as a doctor? There are many professions which allow you to help a person. Teachers, nurses, police, clinical research etc. etc. ;)

This is a really really important point that I think a lot of premeds don't really think about.

There are so many people who say they want to go into medicine because it "helps people", but as rogerroger points out, there are a TON of meaningful careers where you get to "help people".

By looking at other careers, and seeing what you like and don't like about them, and then doing the same with medicine, you'll get a clearer picture about why (and if) medicine is really for you.

The "help people" approach is valid if you know what you're helping them do....

Between health and religion I can think of few things that are intrinsically as important to most people.... you help people with one of the most important aspects of their life....

I don't think anyone is saying the desire to help is not valid. The real question is the following: Why have you chosen to help people through the practice of medicine? ;)

Or in other words, why is practicing medicine special to you over other ways of helping people?

Between health and religion I can think of few things that are intrinsically as important to most people.... you help people with one of the most important aspects of their life....

it is not religion that is most important to people, but spirituality. The majority of people do not follow a religion word for word, but finds the religion that be fits with what they believe and makes it fit.

I don't think anyone is saying the desire to help is not valid. The real question is the following: Why have you chosen to help people through the practice of medicine? ;)

Or in other words, why is practicing medicine special to you over other ways of helping people?

lol which I tried to explain with the second sentence.... it's because the value I put on helping someone with their health.... versus their taxes, education, etc.

I have many more reasons... just talking in context of the thread

it is not religion that is most important to people, but spirituality. The majority of people do not follow a religion word for word, but finds the religion that be fits with what they believe and makes it fit.

Correct, wrong choice of words on my part.... spirituality is what I meant

Hey I can answer that qusetion no problem :)

But it is very personal so I won't share it here.

charlatan indeed... :D (jkn)

Lol, I agree, each individual's personal reason for going to medicine will be unique. You're going to have to do some soul searching and find your own answer.

My answer too is very personal, but sounds lame and sappy when i try to explain it to my friends. So I stopped, my reason is mine alone.

Everyone here will be happy to give you general responses, if thats what you want, of course.

Archived