Premed 101 Forums

5 more seats?

I think I remember reading in the Dal Medical Journal that they are hoping to open that for fall of 2010. But I could be wrong. I think the original plan was fall of 2009, but that's been pushed back.

Also, these 5 rumoured seats... are they maritimer seats? Or could one or two be for OOPs?

I think I remember reading in the Dal Medical Journal that they are hoping to open that for fall of 2010. But I could be wrong. I think the original plan was fall of 2009, but that's been pushed back.

Also, these 5 rumoured seats... are they maritimer seats? Or could one or two be for OOPs?

I think that depends on who these 'conservatives' are... Certainly it is not the NB government as they are liberal, and the federal conservatives would make next to no sense as they don't control the seats to my knowledge. That leaves NS and NFLD, n'est pas? Each provincial government would only spend $$ to increase their pool of seats.

It's my understanding that Dal admits 20 New Brunswick students each year - once they establish the New Brunswick campus they will increase the number of students to 30, which leaves 20 open seats in Halifax. This is what I found on the website:

Q: What will happen to enrolment in the Halifax-based program? Will the Nova Scotia government back-fill all 20 of these seats moved to the New Brunswick program?

A: Currently, the Nova Scotia government has indicated a commitment to fill 10 those seats, and we have been engaged in discussions about the remaining 10. The Government has suggested that it may consider a return for service type of arrangement for some of the additional positions but there is no final decision yet.

I have heard rumors that they might get students who fill these open seats to sign an agreement that they will return to rural areas to practice for "x" number of years once they graduate, but nothing concrete has been established yet as far as I know.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Atlantic/080507/t05079A.html

"An initiative by the Health Department to pay for 10 more seats at Dalhousie medical school was highlighted today by Liberal Leader Stephen McNeil as a sign the minority government can work.

The third-place Liberals have been pushing for the seats as a way of addressing physician shortages.

Health Minister Chris d'Entremont says five of the seats will be made available this fall, while the remaining five will be funded in the fall of 2009."

Do you think that means the seats will be added to the class of 2012 or 2013??!

It's my understanding that Dal admits 20 New Brunswick students each year - once they establish the New Brunswick campus they will increase the number of students to 30, which leaves 20 open seats in Halifax. This is what I found on the website:

Q: What will happen to enrolment in the Halifax-based program? Will the Nova Scotia government back-fill all 20 of these seats moved to the New Brunswick program?

A: Currently, the Nova Scotia government has indicated a commitment to fill 10 those seats, and we have been engaged in discussions about the remaining 10. The Government has suggested that it may consider a return for service type of arrangement for some of the additional positions but there is no final decision yet.

I have heard rumors that they might get students who fill these open seats to sign an agreement that they will return to rural areas to practice for "x" number of years once they graduate, but nothing concrete has been established yet as far as I know.

Do you guys have the URL handy for this website??

I agree with Ms. C - it sounds like 5 more seats would be added for students entering this fall. Of course, the budget has to pass first.

I'm not sure how Dal would handle this though if they have already made their selections - probably just take the top 5 off the waitlist?

Thanks!

From reading that website, it certainly doesn't seem to be coming anytime in the near future :(

In my experience professionally, the 'negotiation' phase is a far cry away from actual implementation. Especially when implementation requires the recruitment of 27 teaching physicians, the construction of new facilities, and proper funding from the government!

Archived