Premed 101 Forums

Ireland

Guest Jimbo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bossman1818

Hi

Yep, I am just sending off my application now! I am applying to Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, and Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland through the Atlantic Bridge program. I am probably in a different boat then you considering I am applying to the six year program (don't have a degree). email if you have any questions.

bossman_joe@hotmail.com

Hi Bossman1818,

What situations are Canadians in after graduating from Ireland? Is it tough to come back to Canada?

Also, what kind of stats are needed to enter their schools?

Good luck on your applications!

-Cali

Guest bossman1818

Hi

First, it is extremely difficult to enter back into Canada after going to medical school in a foreign country, even if your Canadian, and even if the country you are training in has excellent training (such as in Ireland, Britain, Australia, etc.). To be perfectly honest, from my research and talking with different individuals who are actually in other countries, to not plan on coming back to Canada for residency! (kinda sucks, but what can you do). However, the Irish schools have an extremely good reputation in the States, and therefore, if you do well on the USMLES (think thats right, I usually call them the smelly's), you can land a decent residency in the States. For students planning on entering the six year program, usually 85% average in high school is the average for those accepted. For those that have degrees applying to the five year program, I have heard that anywhere from a 3.3 and up is good. MCATS (not required for Trinity, but for the others) is usually around a 27Q. Any more questions, just ask.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Mala2003

Does anyone know the deadline for applications to Trinity? I might be too late for entry this year but its good to know for next year. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest McGillGrad

The deadline is January 25th (or 15th...I am not 100% sure). But for a $25US late fee, you can apply as long as you get all of your documents in before February 25th.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sporter1992

Has anyone here applied to the Irish schools for 2003 admission? I'm here in Canada waiting...Anyone else in the same boat? It would be nice to talk to.

Thanks,

Sam.

Guest tappety tap

Hey sporter1992!

I have applied to Ireland (Trinity, UCD and Royal College of Surgeons). I guess you haven't heard anything yet? I have no clue when they send out letters.

Guest sporter1992

Hey tappety tap,

Nice to hear from you. I believe that replies will start coming in March, but later in March. Last year, it looked like people started getting replies in February.

Are you applying from Canada? (I am)

You can email me at samporter92@yahoo.com.

Take care,

Sam

Guest DMacLach

Hey guys, I'm applying from Canada (Nova Scotia) as well. I applied to Trinity, UCD, and the Royal College of Surgeons. I was wondering if either of you know anything about NUI, Galway?

Thanks!

hey does anyone know what kind of verage do u need to apply not an approx because i have heard people say from 3.3 GPA and above is that correct and what if you wanted to do the 6 year program but have not finished a degree in the process.

if anybody knows anythinng about it

thanks

Guest sporter1992

I heard the same thing. Apparently if you go to a tier 1 Canadian/USA school and you take a challenging major, a lower GPA would still trump a higher GPA from a small liberal arts college with an easy major.

hey how is everbody?

i had a question regarding when we get a reply from the universities. they send me an email and told me it will come in may or so their replies. what did everybody else get because i heardthe replies come around end of march. thanks

This is what I got in my e-mail:

"The first round of offers is usually finalized in March each year. However, due to the number of application received it is possible that it may be later than March this year."

hey kara and sporter1992

no i dont think i applied late. it was before feb 15. are youll appling to the five or six year program because i am applying to the six year program. they said in the email that i got that the reply comes by may and they said the interviews for royal college surgeons of ireland is in like june. i have done two years of university. what is your case.

thanks for the message

where are u guys in canada or us

talk to u soon

hey kara and sporter1992

thanks for the reply

no actually i did not apply late. it was in before feb 15. i have applied to the six year program what about youll. for ucd and tcd they said i should get a reply by may and for rcsi they said they is and interview in june. did youll get that. where are u guys in canada or the us.

talk to u guys soon

avaid,

I'm from Toronto. I graduated from U of T quite a while ago. The only AB school I applied to was Trinity. Didn't really feel like writing the MCAT. I also applied to Mac. If money was not a factor and I could have the freedom to practise anywhere, I would prefer to study at a European medical school like Trinity. I've heard they don't torture their students and interns as much as they do in NA medical schools. Unfortunately $$$ might be a major obstacle should I be fortunate enough to get an acceptance. About $40,000/year for 5 years is a lot of dough.

Archived