Premed 101 Forums

McGill BA&Sc? Biomedical Sciences?

paradoll

I've been accepted in to the freshman program for BA&Sc and BSc at McGill for the upcoming fall term.

With BA&Sc I'd like to major in International Development Studes and the Biomedical Sciences... with BSc, most likely Microbiology & Immunology with as many electives I can take in the IDS program.

I have only learned recently that the biomedical science is being phased out... I will be part of the last year that has the major offered, but was wondering if anyone knows the reason for the phasing out? Is it advisable not to take this route?

Which program would you recommend for applying to medical school later on? Will the BA component of BASc most likely lower GPA significantly?

I do have an interest in both the arts and the sciences and because I'm not dead set on either one yet, I'm trying to take both at the university level to see how I fare in either one. Would it make more sense to go with the BSc and minor in arts through electives?

(But even the BASc freshman program seems to consist of mostly science courses anyway as there is room for only 3 arts courses...)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks, that is probably the best plan... I just felt my post was a bit out of place on the forum (I apologize if it's the wrong section?) and tried to incorporate some medical schoolness into it. I was assuming as a premed forum there would be tons of strategy-oriented users who might know all the ins and outs of the programs out there?

Right now I'd just like to keep doors open for myself and I'm not sure of whether BASc or BSc works better for that. I don't know enough about the programs to choose and McGill's site and course calendar hasn't been extremely insightful..

Is anyone familiar with the programs and possibly why the biomedical science major is being phased out?

Thanks, that is probably the best plan... I just felt my post was a bit out of place on the forum (I apologize if it's the wrong section?) and tried to incorporate some medical schoolness into it. I was assuming as a premed forum there would be tons of strategy-oriented users who might know all the ins and outs of the programs out there?

Right now I'd just like to keep doors open for myself and I'm not sure of whether BASc or BSc works better for that. I don't know enough about the programs to choose and McGill's site and course calendar hasn't been extremely insightful..

Is anyone familiar with the programs and possibly why the biomedical science major is being phased out?

The 'pre-med strategy' for your UG degree should be as follows: Work as hard as possible, get as high marks as you are capable of, make sure you have all prereqs covered for every school you ever intend to apply to, and fit in ECs where you can!

Hi Paradoll,

I initially started out at McGill in the BSc with a major in Anatomy and Cell Biology. After two years, I switched in the BASC and ended up with a double major in Psychology (for my science component) and International Development Studies.

First - about the grades in Arts, I had the same concern as you... but don't worry, my arts GPA ended up being higher than my science GPA was the first two years. If you are a proactive student you can get As in McGill Arts. The best advice I have for that is take your papers to your TAs before you hand them in, they will give you a ton of advice and remember your paper when marking it. There is so much selection in IDS too... geography courses are known to be easier than say political science, and of course it all comes down to professors. With smart course selection you can get As. Also, don't be afraid to take higher level courses as soon as you can... my grades in 300/400 level classes tended to be higher than 200 level classes where they like to keep the average at a B.

I don't know why they are phasing out the Biomedical Sciences. One reason could be the high number of 200 level courses required for that concentration. I remember my friends in that program complaining about this. It can also be a problem because some medical schools require a certain number of 300/400 level courses in 3rd and 4th year, but you can't always do that if you have to fill prerequisities.

The only disadvantage I found with the program is you take such a wide breadth of courses, you don't get to devle deeply into any one. Personally, I didn't mind this because I got a taste of everything and am interested in studying Public Health after medical school, which is a very interdisciplinary field. But sometimes, especially in arts, you just master how to write a poli sci paper, and then you have to figure out how to write a history paper etc., so it can be tricky.

Anyway, this message is long enough, but feel free to PM me if you want anymore information about the program and/or McGill in general. Overall I'd say either choice isn't a bad one, I loved McGill and Montreal.

Thanks for the advice mbene. Hopefully I will learn to manage my time better than how I am now at some exponential level... =]

I'm a little overwhelmed with trying to figure out what courses I will need to take now to meet the prerequisites for 4 years down the road when I'm not even sure I'll have the grades to apply to med school. Especially since I'm being presented with so many options compared to like 4 electives available at my high school

Namaste, I was glad to read what you wrote, and that you enjoyed your time at McGill & Montreal :) (I was really stressed with a Queen's vs McGill debate for a long time.) Right now I want to take courses just for the sake of learning and not give a care about the marks; but at the same time I do want to obtain a good GPA in case I choose the MD path for sure..

Archived