Premed 101 Forums

Invites ouT!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Medhopeful,

I'll give answering your question a shot - others feel free to correct me if I am misinformed:

I seem to remember at the presentation at Ottawa that it was mentioned that offers were made off the waitlist as people send in their confimations. So i guess...THEORETICALLY, there could be offers made tomorrow (that is if people were certain they didn't want to attend Ottawa and sent in their 'news' today).. But I think actually this may be a bit of wishful thinking - I would assume sometime in the following couple weeks is when we will see movement..

Perhaps checking last years threads is a good idea.. I haven't done this... yet!

Hello,

Congrats to everyone accepted today. That's awesome! I'm wait listed for the French stream. I have two questions:

1. Is there a good and bad wait list for the French stream as there is for the English stream, or is there just one wait list for the French stream?

2. Does anyone receive an outright rejection, or is anyone that is not accepted put on a wait list?

Thanks, and good luck to all those on the wait list.

So I've been waitlisted on the "bad" waitlist... does anybody know someone who was "bad" waitlisted and was accepted later on? and if so, how much later did they have to wait? Ottawa is my only hope! I'm trying to figure out my options here... it's hard to not have hope because there is a slim chance of getting in, but at the same time, having read the statement "unlikely to receive an offer" pretty much says, better luck next time.

Any thoughts?

I head in 2 weeks when the 1st round of offers are due - they must say if they firmly, prov or reject the offer, that's when there's a round of offers from the wait-list- lasts a week, then another- another week, then provisional becomes FIRM, then a few more offers after june13th date. BUT, nicole said they just start calling people when places free up - so if someone rejects an offer today, then tomorrow, why not fill the spot?

The people I know in my class who were called off the bad waitlist didn't hear until august, and I know of 4 people in our class who were called off the bad waitlist.

PS I'm pretty sure they didn't start calling people off the waitlist until June last year. You can check the threads from last year if you like.

do you guys think the timing of the emails has to do with our rank? like did some people get their messages before others? eg acceptances around 750, good wait-list, 810-830 , bad wait-list 830 on...

There is some method. I'm not sure if it goes alphabetical through everyone as a whole or within the subground of accepted, good listed, 'bad' listed. But perhaps your theory is right. Who knows. Doesn't really matter either way as it's not going to affect the outcome at this point.

Good luck!

no one answered my question

Dude, patience.

It's unlikely that people will be called within the next few weeks as applicants have a certain amount of time to send in acceptances to Ottawa (or other schools as some applicants have likely received multiple offers). Although it's difficult, understand that you've already been given a ranked number and unfortunately it's just a matter of time. I think someone in the meds '10 class was called in September after the year had started.

Good luck!

Hello,

Congrats to everyone accepted today. That's awesome! I'm wait listed for the French stream. I have two questions:

1. Is there a good and bad wait list for the French stream as there is for the English stream, or is there just one wait list for the French stream?

2. Does anyone receive an outright rejection, or is anyone that is not accepted put on a wait list?

Thanks, and good luck to all those on the wait list.

From what I understand (keep in mind I'm an anglophone) the french class waitlist doesn't move too much as there aren't nearly as many french programs in Canada and they're less likely to receive multiple acceptances. But saying that, it does move so don't give up hope!

And I know for the english class there is no 'outright' rejections and I assume the same if true for the Francais.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone accepted and best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! I was on the good waitlist last year and received a call on May 31st telling me I was accepted. So hang in there!! I was devastated when I didn't get an acceptance on May 15th last year and never thought I'd get off the waitlist!! So there's still HOPE!!!!!!! Just need to be patient for a little while longer...

Best of luck to all:)

The info session didn't put a firm number on how big the "good" waitlist is. The size based on the the average number of waitlisted applicants ultimately offered spots in past years. So the people put on the "good" waitlist on average will be offered a spot eventually.

The last two classes to be inducted into U of O med even had a couple of 'bad' waitlisters.

anyone call admissions and see if the next round will come out on the 28th, 29th/ 30th? june2/3? Before then? If they will be in a burst or very slow???

think theywill tell us?

I guess you could do that, but really, it won't change the outcome! If you're on the good waitlist, you have a good chance of getting in. Now try to go out & enjoy your summer! Even if the admissions did tell you they would start on the 28th, or the 29th (which I doubt, I think they just call you whenever someone turns down their offer), it doesn't mean you'll get called on that day! I know it's hard not to know, but at this point it's out of your hands anyway.

Archived