Premed 101 Forums

Does acceptance at Windsor sway your preferences?

If you already know you've been accepted to another school and you're waiting to hear from UWO, would you be swayed to another school if you were accepted to the new four-year Windsor program? I don't know what the city is like at all, or what the quality of the professors/resources at Windsor will be, if it would be at all different.

I'd gladly accept Windsor, but I thought I'd see what other people think who have been accepted somewhere else, but are still waiting and considering UWO...

Guest begaster

If I had multiple acceptances, I would not go to Windsor. As I have no other acceptances, I'll go to the ****ing Bermuda Triangle at this point.

I heard a lot of good things about the windsor campus before my interview. For example, you'll have lots of opportunities to see and try things out and the docs there are really enthusiastic about making the program work.

However, for me, the fact that lectures will be video based, albeit in real-time, is the negative factor.

However, as mentioned, I'd rather go to UWO, even if its UWO-windsor, than anywhere else . :)

I've been to some events where the Windsor program has been promoted . . .I'm not a med student so this is just what I gathered from people (who admittedly are biased for the program) Personally, if I ever got into med school, I would consider the windsor program.

Some benefits that they like to cite are (and I'm certainly not saying that they have no reason to!)

-Friendly community (yes, the city looks like crap, I though this too when I first came here, but the people are really nice)

-4th most diverse city in Canada, so as a med student you'd see people from all kinds of backgrounds

-We need docs in windsor so, we love med students. The health care community and the hospitals (Hotel Dieu and Windsor Regional) is really committed to making the windsor program work b/c we see it as our best shot to recruit docs to the region

-There's not the overload of med students you have in say, london or kingston, so you get to do alot more as a med student in basically all areas, and certainly including obstetrics. You're not the 10 person on the medical team list standing in the back of the room, so to speak.

-The *same* program as UWO, yes I realize that the lectures aren't real time, and this is a drawback for me, too.

I'm wondering, does anyone know if the new Windsor campus will affect the ability of those of us at London campus to come to Windsor for some of our clerkship rotations?

I'm at London campus, but I quite like Windsor and definitely want to do this if possible.

I've been to some events where the Windsor program has been promoted . . .I'm not a med student so this is just what I gathered from people (who admittedly are biased for the program) Personally, if I ever got into med school, I would consider the windsor program.

Some benefits that they like to cite are (and I'm certainly not saying that they have no reason to!)

-Friendly community (yes, the city looks like crap, I though this too when I first came here, but the people are really nice)

-4th most diverse city in Canada, so as a med student you'd see people from all kinds of backgrounds

-We need docs in windsor so, we love med students. The health care community and the hospitals (Hotel Dieu and Windsor Regional) is really committed to making the windsor program work b/c we see it as our best shot to recruit docs to the region

-There's not the overload of med students you have in say, london or kingston, so you get to do alot more as a med student in basically all areas, and certainly including obstetrics. You're not the 10 person on the medical team list standing in the back of the room, so to speak.

-The *same* program as UWO, yes I realize that the lectures aren't real time, and this is a drawback for me, too.

Any chance you are attending this month's Mini Medical School? Because they mentioned each of those points at the very first session!

Archived