Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Applicants for US Schools 2009

This is just me, but when I google in rankings for American medical schools, each site basis its ranking on different things like research funding, for example. I guess if you look at the major criteria for each ranking, it would be better

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Q...for those Canadians that do want to come back to canada, isn't it especially important to attend a school that is accordingly ranked high in primary care? I know that the rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, but if residency program directors rank school x higher in primary care, isn't that more of significance than the research rank?

I subscribed to USnews for that reason, it was 15 bucks too so cheaper than MSAR.

Ok they dont have international admissions data, but I e-mailed them some while ago and we canadians aren't disadvantaged- strictly based on merit. Therefore, posting the total admissions data should be enough (take note of the total acceptances, >> bigger than matriculants)

Total admissions data 4181 applied, 680 interviewed, 233 were accepted, 74 enrolled

With that said, Yale interviews approx 25% of candidates, and mayo has a RIDICULOUSLY low interview/acceptance rate.

I just wanted to leave my two cents on this whole international applicant business:

It is true that canadians need a higher GPA/MCAT because they are internationals, but I have e-mailed a lot of schools and this is not the case for private schools, dartmouth and mt sinai included. It is important to remember that canadians by nature are the "best" kind of international as well. A higher GPA and MCAT is needed for state schools because they have to be selective of instate students.

Its kind of funny, There is a big gap in the education between a school like MSU and Dartmouth, but this gap doesn't necessarily translate into the numbers that you need to be competitive for those schools as an international, because one is a state school and the other is a private school. Although, I would argue that you would need a stronger application overall for Dartmouth.

I only say this because people do get in with 32 mcat scores and 31 mcat scores. I just feel like all this international talk is making people a little less 'gutsy' with the application. Being unreasonably 'gutsy' is just a waste of money, time, hope, and effort, but being a little 'gutsy' is a lesson I wish I had learned before this previous cycle.

When your dream is on the line, a small leap of faith ought to be encouraged even if just a little.

I still don't understand how people can afford MSU or Wayne. Thats 50 some K tuition/year without living expenses. It seems like even with Canhelp, LOCs, and a crapload of loans I'd still need to deal cocaine to get by.

Hmmm...dealing cocaine...now there's an idea ;):D

it will be my new EC

and it's a good one. I mean, you would need/develop interpersonal skills + time management skills + you would gain experience about being in a position of authority...not to mention a score of other things :D

you'll have to sell a little extra since canhelp is no longer. you need a us citizen cosigner for the new version...

I saw that the other day...made me so angry. I guess I will have to reacquaint myself with my family in the States.

Does anyone know what the timeline for secondaries is like? Once you submit your primary with essay, LORs, transcript and MCAT, how long does it take for secondaries to arrive?

They might cme really fast if you submit really early. That's what I heard. It will take longer to receive them the later you apply. You might get them the next day if you submit in June.

For schols that require 3-5 LOR, is it uncommon to have people submit only 3 letters of reference? what's the best thing to do for those schools?

They might cme really fast if you submit really early. That's what I heard. It will take longer to receive them the later you apply. You might get them the next day if you submit in June.

For schols that require 3-5 LOR, is it uncommon to have people submit only 3 letters of reference? what's the best thing to do for those schools?

Most schools require you to submit three letters of reference. It is not that often that they would require more. Usually they will say that if you have any other letters (besides the required 3) you can feel free to submit them. I don't think submitting only three (if that's all you have) is a bad thing (especially if they are good).

Hey, I saw your earlier list about the schools you're going to apply to. Have you decided if you're applying to any others?

i think i will have my primary ready by the first week of July. I feel that will be the beginning of the peak period. Do you think it will take more than 3-4 weeks for secondaries to arrive?

Also, when entering courses into Amcas what system would Queen's use? I thought it would be the semester system but then would a course during May-June be considered summer? I completed orgo during that time but I was unsure whether to record that as summer since they call it spring session.

This might be worthy of a sticky thread like SDN titled AMCAS application.

thanks

Does anyone have two semesters of organic chem but only 1 with a lab?

Our first semester does not offer a lab and it seems that almost all schools require two semesters with two labs. Has anyone experienced this?

I really don't want to have to email 30 schools.

Does anyone have two semesters of organic chem but only 1 with a lab?

Our first semester does not offer a lab and it seems that almost all schools require two semesters with two labs. Has anyone experienced this?

I really don't want to have to email 30 schools.

Im pretty sure that 1 semester of Biochem (with labs) will substitute for not having the lab in the Orgo 1. I've found most schools to be pretty flexible with their pre-reqs. I wouldn't worry about it.

Archived