Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Applicants for US Schools 2009

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking of 20+ schools.

Well, I'm sort of conflicted.

It's a lot of money to apply (I didn't know we had to pay $30 for adding one school in primary application as well), and it scares me to even think about writing the secondaries,

but money-wise, the US schools are so expensive anyway that the application money doesn't seem like a lot (not that it's not a lot of money)

decisions, decisions...

the question I asked myself was which schools would I attend if canada doesn't work out for a second time. So I came up with that list of 6. Wayne state, RFU, an MSU CHM should all be on the list. But with MSU and Wayne at a freaking ridiculous 55k - no thanks. Im not THAT desperate yet.

Id give canada a third try - then i'll get desperate

the question I asked myself was which schools would I attend if canada doesn't work out for a second time. So I came up with that list of 6. Wayne state, RFU, an MSU CHM should all be on the list. But with MSU and Wayne at a freaking ridiculous 55k - no thanks. Im not THAT desperate yet.

Id give canada a third try - then i'll get desperate

I wouldn't say going Stateside is desperation, even the pricier options.

To me, they're an alternative to Canada, far better than Caribbean (which is $45k!), Ireland, or Aus routes.

I suspect there aren't more Canadian students matriculating to the US because a) they either get into a Canadian school or B) could not get into a single US school. I think the widely held belief is that it's "easy" to get into a US school. This is fiction. While I agree in most cases it''s easier than Canadian schools, especially if you're Ontarian, it isn't all that easy to gain admissions in the US to the mid tiers like Wayne / MSU nevermind the top tiers.

I wouldn't say going Stateside is desperation, even the pricier options.

To me, they're an alternative to Canada, far better than Caribbean (which is $45k!), Ireland, or Aus routes.

I suspect there aren't more Canadian students matriculating to the US because a) they either get into a Canadian school or B) could not get into a single US school. I think the widely held belief is that it's "easy" to get into a US school. This is fiction. While I agree in most cases it''s easier than Canadian schools, especially if you're Ontarian, it isn't all that easy to gain admissions in the US to the mid tiers like Wayne / MSU nevermind the top tiers.

I totally understand, yet I should have been more clear. I meant that Im not desperate to go right away to a school with a 55k tuition/year - I wouldn't mind staying an additional year and trying for Canadians schools again - I would be competitive for more than just the 2 I interviewed at this year. I didnt know that wayne/msu are mid tiers, but it was never a question of quality as much as it was of coin.

That's why my list is very short and while my stats (34, 3.88) are at least at or above the average for matriculants/applicants - there is far far more to the application than that - luck included. Yet those are realistically the only schools I would want to attend If I get accepted there, yet not get accepted again in Canada.

Edit: just wanted to add, I am starting to think that Aussie schools are probably a better alternative than Carribean now

I haven't written my MCAT yet (writing in August), and my GPA won't be able to stand on its own.

Should I still try submit my application in June or will I risk getting rejected right away? Should I wait until I get my MCATs? (results will be in at end of September).

I haven't written my MCAT yet (writing in August), and my GPA won't be able to stand on its own.

Should I still try submit my application in June or will I risk getting rejected right away? Should I wait until I get my MCATs? (results will be in at end of September).

Hey mMD...im in a similar situation as yours (Aug 7th MCAT) with a mediocre GPA and will be applying next yr rather than now. IMO you should wait to see how well you did on the mcat and then accordingly select which schools to apply to.I say this since MCAT has a huge bearing in US admissions especially if your gpa is mediocre. And yes, your application will not be viewed before MCAT scores come in as far as I know is the case for most (if not all) schools.

Hey guys, september might be getting a little late. I wouldn't discourage you from applying - but I would warn you that it gets tougher.

I know of a few that actually submitted their material in october, and interviewed at rolling schools like Dartmouth. They also interviewed at Harvard tho - so it says something about their application. The point is - the later you apply the better your application must be

Hey guys, september might be getting a little late. I wouldn't discourage you from applying - but I would warn you that it gets tougher.

I know of a few that actually submitted their material in october, and interviewed at rolling schools like Dartmouth. They also interviewed at Harvard tho - so it says something about their application. The point is - the later you apply the better your application must be

Hey Alastriss....I have a question...Say that i do apply this yr...Is there a point in getting everything in by June if the mcat results will be in by september?....i have the impression tht they only look at the app once its complete.

Hey Alastriss....I have a question...Say that i do apply this yr...Is there a point in getting everything in by June if the mcat results will be in by september?....i have the impression tht they only look at the app once its complete.

They will process your primary application but they will not do so for your secondary until they get your mcat scores. On that note, by that time it would usually take a school anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks to process your secondary application. But that should not discourage you especially if you have a strong application.

As mentioned before, the later you apply, the longer the school will take to send you secondaries and such. What you could do is get everything in by July, and that gives some good buffer time in case there are any delays in the application process (transcripts not being received, reference letter missing, etc). You would also be receiving secondaries pretty fast and can just take your time working on them knowing that you have till your MCAT scoe release date. That way the day your mcat score is received you release it and become complete as soon as possible.

I just have a question with those who have previous US application experience. How much of a "crapshoot" did you guys feel exists in the US app cycles? Is it common to receive rejections from schools where your stats are around/aboveaverage matriculants regardless of a good ABS?

Archived