Premed 101 Forums

Med 2012: Vaccinations and First aid?

You will need vaccines but not first-aid (at least that's the way it was last year). At the end of orientation, there is a first-aid course where you do all that good stuff. However, wait for the registration package. The TB skin test and HBV vaccine are a couple of the big ones. There are others but it's all in the package.

You will need vaccines but not first-aid (at least that's the way it was last year). At the end of orientation, there is a first-aid course where you do all that good stuff. However, wait for the registration package. The TB skin test and HBV vaccine are a couple of the big ones. There are others but it's all in the package.

it's already provided in the acceptance packet. most people will have had most of the vaccines except maybe varicella, but most of us have had the chicken pox...so i'm not sure what they do about that. they might vaccinate you once anyways. tb must be done within 6 months so any old ones are no good...=( check the packet for more info

When do you figure the mailed acceptance packages start arriving?

I was trying to book an appointment for an immunization sitdown, and she said I need to have the actual package in hand before they can see me.

I'm out in Toronto, so they might still be in the mail. Have they been arriving already in BC?

Cheers,

P

Offer letters were sent out last week

Online acceptance packages are available immediately.

Orientation packages are sent out in July.

Immunizations packages on the other hand are down loadable from OAS account, provided you were offered a position. If you read the online introductions carefully, you'll see a link to download the immu. package.

May I make a suggestion.

Book the appt with the UBC hospital nurse some time after September if you need vaccinations and will be using the UBC AMS insurance plan. The reason is that the AMS insurance will cover vaccination costs up to a certain amount. If you get the vaccines before the AMS plan kicks in, you pay for it yourself.

However, the downside is you will need to adjust to your school schedule and book an appt on an independent study time.

Finally, TB tests can be done at the BC CDC (TB office in same building). You will have to pay for it yourself. When I did it in 2005, it was 20 bucks for the blood test and 40 bucks for the x-ray.

Hope that helps. Oh yeah, congrats =)

• 2 weeks later...

You need to get a blood test to check your reactivity to chicken pox and then attach the results to your immunization record. Also, it is a lot cheaper to go to your family physician with all your records and get them to fill out your forms, and request blood tests. And go to a TB clinic or a travel clinic for a TB test, it is 20-40 rather than 60 at UBC.

I got my vaccinations and review with the nurse just not too long ago. It was super simple and I had absolutely no records from elementary school and high school. I only have a record of immunizations i got as a baby.

Anyways i saw the nurse and she asked me if I ever got chicken pox and i said i did. So that was it. We didn't have to do a test to see my titres against this virus.

For TB, i didn't even pay. Do they like send us an invoice or something? Cause they never said anything about payment.

I only had to go pick up my hepA and tetanus vaccines and pay about 100 bux for them and that was it.

I got my blood tested for my hepB titre too.

It is super simple. Don't worry if you don't have records. But try your best to find them.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't wait until September to book your appointments with the nurses. It will be super busy by then. Aim for end of July, early August.

You will have to take your records of previous vaccines (as many as you can muster up) and they will do antibody titres for the ones you can't prove. All the vaccines are free as is the TB test done at UBC. You need to book your TB test and read within 48-72 hours of each other.

Everyone RELAX! You will get huge books of orientation materials later in the summer. There will be enough forms to fill and cheques to write then. Keep an eye out for the Purple Book ;) ;) ;)

If you are getting lines of credit, you can start on that now or you can wait until the 'show and tell' day from all the banks in September. Either way, be nice to the second years and ask them if they are part of a referral program with their banks.

Get off these boards and have some fun!

A correction about vaccine cost -- depends where you go. I had mine at SFU while I was still there and got Polio and MMR with them for free. DPT was free at my docs since they have them on hand. Not sure about the cost at UBC. Hep A is not required, but a good idea.

Archived