Premed 101 Forums

Attention New UBC Med 2012 Students!

:confused:Got questions? :confused:

Students of MD11 are here to help! There is a group of dedicated VFMP, IMP and NMP students manning a new listserv to answer all of your questions about life as a med student and all the trials and tribulations of first year. There is also a group of GLBTQ meds that are available to answer questions through email.

You may contact Ms. Victoria Lambert at the Office of Student Affairs to be added to the SABB-12 listserv. Her email address is victoria.lambert@ubc.ca.

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer listserv is just an e-mail group where you can ask questions. I'm assuming it's for people who identify or have questions about the GLBTQ community.

Thanks for that...I didn't attend UBC for my undergrad so didn't know this.

So What is SABB?

UBC does not have a white coat ceremony. You do get several lectures that make you feel pretty good about yourself during orientation week...

I guess they have avoided or eliminated the white coat ceremony for good because many see it as unnecessary and self-serving (which I kind of agree)

Your CPR certification class will likely be on the Saturday or Sunday of the long weekend. Plus, you will be really tired from the events of the week before!

I strongly encourage new students to post to the SABB-12 listserve (see first post in this thread) so other students not using Premed101 can see the discussions too.

Sheeesh...just a few weeks, a few weeks for your registration packages to arrive and all your questions shall be answered!!

Just kidding :) But PLEASE start posting to the SABB-12 board if you are a new student.

Exemption for the CPR certification was pretty much limited to CPR-C/AED instructors with a specific level of training. Others still had to go for a re-certification.

It's O-week of your first year of medical school....WHY would you even consider missing it??

I've been asked to post this website:

http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/student_affairs/FAQ.htm

I suggest you take a look. If you haven't already signed up for the SABB-12 listserv...do that!

So I emailed Victoria Lambert twice at victoria.lambert@ubc.ca to add me to SABB-12 and haven't heard from her. Is there an initiation process to join?!? You know...like in gangs you have to beat up old women and steal their purses only then will you get to join the gang and get all the benefits :)

Ok seriously though, am I missing something? i have lots of questions to ask and things to discuss but am waiting to join. Just went out to UBC to check out some apartments around there, but didn't have much luck

haha if you are having problems PM me and I will personally flog Victoria for you. i suggest waiting until monday, i think she's off-site.

considering I get to help organize the scavenger hunt for you guys...yes, there is an initiation :D

Thanks Kanayo. If I don't hear from her by Mid next week I'll PM u...AFTER I SLASH HER TIRES!!!! :D

Totally Joking by the way; Hope she doesn't check this site. I'm sure she's a very nice lady. But all the gang talk is bringing out this violence in me :) Better stop now before I get banned from here.

well if you're already certified...like, recently...

For the year I started, according to the orientation package, the company that provided CPR courses 'granted exemption' for students who had taken CPR-C with AED within the past year. They asked for you to submit proof of certification dated within the past year.

Don't tell anyone, though, but despite what it says in the orientation package, it doesn't actually say in the official UBC MD Undergraduate Policies and Procedures (available on MEDICOL once you get your login) that you have to get your CPR certification. So, if money or time is super tight, unless this has been changed in the Policies nothing will happen to you if you don't get the certification. A number of people in my class did not bother to get it at the start of 2nd year.

(Why the discrepancy, you might ask? Well, in past years, the statement that the 'annual re-certification is mandatory' was a marketing statement written by the only company that advertises in the orientation package.)

But you didn't hear that from me.

Don't tell anyone, though, but despite what it says in the orientation package, it doesn't actually say in the official UBC MD Undergraduate Policies and Procedures (available on MEDICOL once you get your login) that you have to get your CPR certification.

ssshhhh!! yeah I heard that too but FYI, for all the folks who are gonna fuss about it, maintaining CPR certification falls under "professionalism"

And I didn't even know that manual existed, thanks! So you gotta flunk TWO courses after remediation to have to repeat the year..........

Your CPR certification class will likely be on the Saturday or Sunday of the long weekend. Plus, you will be really tired from the events of the week before!

I strongly encourage new students to post to the SABB-12 listserve (see first post in this thread) so other students not using Premed101 can see the discussions too.

Do you guys do the layman CPR class or the one for health care providers?

Archived