Premed 101 Forums

Undergrade GPA is ruining my chances!

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I have a quick question.

My undergrad GPA is 3.2, but I've taken my science pre-reqs the following year as a non-degree student. My gpa in those courses was 3.9, and together it would be abt a 3.52! I've completed my masters of public health and received a 3.9. After looking at Ontario schools, I do not meet min. GPAs although I have great ECs. I'm considering US schools, but I've been told through an accepted.com telethon that I would not be accepted. I'm extremely committed to medicine, specifically community health and preventative medicine.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks!

Hi Arvee,

I think you might have a chance at Queen's, as long as you meet their ever-changing MCAT cutoff. I didn't meet their GPA cut-off either. Overall, my OMSAS GPA is 3.12. In the last two years I think I had a 3.71. I also did a master's degree, and I think my GPA for that was 3.8 or 3.9. I have healthcare work experience (but not patient care, in management), and varying ECs (some artistic, some leadership, etc). I was accepted at Queen's (although waitlisted for a bit first). So, I would say you should at least try at the schools that will consider your grad degree.

Hello Meredith,

Thank you for your response! Queen's is my alma mater, and as a nursing student I was very familiar with its stellar program.

U of T also considers grad degrees, however, as my MPH is course based, I'm not sure they would accept it.

But your story gives me hope, thank you very much!:)

I applied to Toronto, but was rejected pre-interview. My grad degree was course-based too. I knew when I applied to Toronto that I would probably be rejected with my low grades and scarce research experience (not non-existent, but not much), but I thought I'd give a try anyway. Base it on how attached you are to the $75. For me it was worth the "what if."

Good luck!

Hi Meredith and arvee,

I was in a simliar situation and ended up gettting accepted at NOSM this year. My first undergrad had a GPA of ~3.25 and since I wanted to get into meds I decided to pursue a graduate degree in molecular bio. After realizing that my GPA was the thing that was holding me back (and talking to the NOSM committee), I decided to do a second three year undergraduate which I completed in one year (since I already had a lot of undergrad courses). This is what finally put me over the top and into a position in medical school.

One thing to watch out for though is that if you do a second undergrad BEFORE your masters, then Ottawa will count the marks in your GPA calculation (which is good). If you do it AFTER a masters, then they won't (I got screwed on that this year). Calgary, Saskatchewan, and NOSM however don't care if you do it before or after.

I've been down this road for a while now trying to fix my undergrad grades so I know some of the in's and out's of trying to compensate for a low GPA. If either of you want, send me a private message and I can try to give you some advice.

Archived