Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2009!

Guest Left and Leaving

Guest Left and Leaving

Well, I know this is sort of early, but has anyone made up their minds yet? Mac was my top choice, so I know I'll be heading there for sure! Can't wait to meet you guys in the fall.

For anyone who went to Mac/is from Hamilton, where are the good places to live? Best way to find housing? I'm in Halifax right now so apt hunting is sort of tough, and I really don't know the city at all (except that the uni isn't *that* close to downtown). :)

I'm totally excited for our med school experience!! :P

Guest JMvla

I will be attending Mac in the fall. I couldn't believe the email when I got it -- I didn't think they would send one out! Yeah, the area around McMaster seems to be mostly family homes (probably not much rental possibility). I think we get a bus pass for our first year though.

Guest heho

Hey,

I've lived in Hamilton, and I'd say the best place to live depends on your age/the experience you are looking for.

The "ghetto" is great if you are younger and don't min loud undergrad parties. Westdale is nice if you want to be a little further from the school, in a nice neighbourhood (still very close though).

Like the weakerthans reference. I guess it's fitting for this point in your life, what with your acceptance and all.

Guest grandmellon
Well, I know this is sort of early, but has anyone made up their minds yet? Mac was my top choice, so I know I'll be heading there for sure! Can't wait to meet you guys in the fall.

I will be joining you at the end of August as well! It very exciting... and I have checked my email several times to make sure it is for real :rollin

I'm not sure about housing in Hamilton.. but I must say I am a little bit jealous of those that can live there because I'm going to have to commute from Toronto hehehe.

I look forward to meeting you all and getting to know you.

Take care,

GM

I think the general consensus is that the further west you go, the less shady it becomes.

Here's the off-campus housing site:

www.macocho.com/

With regards to the houses around McMaster, many of them are rentals.

And yes, you also get a free bus pass, so don't be afraid of living downtown.

Guest NurseNathalie

Finding housing is not an issue- probably best to look a little earlier in the summer, before all the other students are back and looking. Every other house has a 'for rent' sign posted... I'm sure just taking a day and walking around would help. First year classes are mostly at the MDCL building (Michael DeGroote Center for Learning- betta get used to seeing MDCL written everywhere now!), so perhaps you could start around here, and see if anything suits your needs.

There are MANY student houses - which are a lot cheaper of course, than renting on your own. I would suggest you consider a 'med student' house if you don't want to live alone. It's nice to meet other med students, you can also network (and get some guidance) from upper year med students, and also get support from them, because they know what you're going through. I would caution to chose your 'mates' well if renting a room randomly- med school is a big investment and you don't want it to be jeopardized by some party-happy neighbour! Apartments/houses in Dundas are very nice- short drive to the school though.. but worth it (especially if you have a family).

I'm old.. I prefer to live alone! lol there are many many affordable bachelors/one bdrm apart.

this may seem obvious to ppl who live it southern ontario - but it wasn't to me.. so I'll mention it: if you have a vehicle, make sure you ask specifically about a parking space. Make sure its written on the lease (if landlord says its included in your rent)- and most places around here require a lease. You may want to clarify how accessible your car will be from this parking spot! lol I had a lot of trouble getting to my car when I wanted it- we had a double car driveway- but 4 cars! good luck getting out if everyone is gone and your car is boxed in! oops.. rambling, sorry!

Our class had a website set up early on- I beleive this was set up by the second years for us. On this secure website, we got to talk to each others and many med students posted housing recommendations there. I'm sure our class is setting up something for you- this should help you to 'get the facts'.. :)

Guest alonka1206

Thank you, guys!!! Helpful information!!!

Special thanks to Natalie!!! Her replies are always thorough and straight to the point!!

I know that a couple of streets just across the Hospital are almost all for rent and it is quite quiet there.

Guest MedSchoolGirl2005

congrats on those who got in!

Also on the off campus housing site from the mcmaster webpage is something where you can look for housemates. You can contact and meet in person to make sure you have similar interests and schedules. Its great for people wanting to get a house but are unsure of who to live with.

Again congrats and good luck....i'll be doing my grad degree there...

Guest NurseNathalie

went digging for information for you.. lol

as an aside:

our class has set up some websites to help you in corresponding with each other, and getting to know each other this summer. The details of these websites will be sent to you with your O-week documents.

usually, the upper year med students (who are moving on to greener pastures), will let you know of all these great places etc...

I think this is a good option, since usually- ppl won't promote a place that isn't good for med students!

Archived