Premed 101 Forums

Hey

Last september Bell was offering an EPP17.30 plan for UBC students. I don't know if they still have it, but if you call the bookstore at UBC they will know about it.

200 daytime

Unlimited EW from 6pm

Caller ID

125text

per second billing after the first minute (probably not anymore)

Voicemail

Conference calling/call waiting

Comes out to $25+tax.

What is cdma?

Its a whole cdma vs gsm.

The only two companies in BC that use CDMA are Bell and Telus.

The GSM companies are Rogers and Fido.

From what I know, the CDMA are locked to specific companies.. so whenever you hear of people unlocking phones to be used with different companies, they are NOT referring to Bell OR Telus.. And also, if you unlock a Bell phone, you can not use it with Telus (and vice versa with telus phones).

With GSM, they use SIM cards so you can swap phones whenever you want to (as long as you have another GSM phone).

And also.. the network for GSM phones is supposed to be better (whatever that means)..

Edit: So this could become an issue if you ever get into the phone scene... like say you start the bell plan and you want an iPhone (which will only be supplied by Rogers) WITH your bell plan, you won't be able to switch phones.. However if you stick to fido, you will be able to buy a unlocked iPhone and just swap the sim cards to use your new phone

Its a whole cdma vs gsm.

The only two companies in BC that use CDMA are Bell and Telus.

The GSM companies are Rogers and Fido.

From what I know, the CDMA are locked to specific companies.. so whenever you hear of people unlocking phones to be used with different companies, they are NOT referring to Bell OR Telus.. And also, if you unlock a Bell phone, you can not use it with Telus (and vice versa with telus phones).

With GSM, they use SIM cards so you can swap phones whenever you want to (as long as you have another GSM phone).

And also.. the network for GSM phones is supposed to be better (whatever that means)..

Edit: So this could become an issue if you ever get into the phone scene... like say you start the bell plan and you want an iPhone (which will only be supplied by Rogers) WITH your bell plan, you won't be able to switch phones.. However if you stick to fido, you will be able to buy a unlocked iPhone and just swap the sim cards to use your new phone

GSM is also more international. I took my Bell phone to Europe and couldn't use it the entire time (no service). As soon as I flew into Chicago I had about 100 text messages in queue that suddenly got sent to me. :D

bell does carry a world phone which uses both CDMA and GSM, so you can use their phone overseas if needed.

yeah, unfortunately, bell won't be getting the iphone because it's exclusively GSM

Acctually CDMA is supposed to be more stable, reliable, and secure than GSM networks just because of how the technology works. There's a reason why you can unlock GSM phones so easily, but not CDMA phones

it's true that CDMA has its disadvantages, (like not as great hardware =T)

Thanks for the info.

How are the long distance rates?

if you want long-distance for calling home (assuming that UBC's away from home) you can go for a family share plan where calling to and from other phones in your family plan w/in canada is free.

you can also get the touchbase feature for $6/mth that allows you to call one designated number for an unlimited duration 20 times a month.

other than that, i believe long distance rates are usually 35 cents per min and extra airtime minutes are at 35 cents per min aswell

Hey

As for Telus/Bell vs. Fido/Rogers. I have been with Telus for 5.5 years now and have never had a problem. In fact, the customer service with telus is much much better with telus mobility (not true for other telus services). Every time a new plan came out with a fido or rogers, I would just call in and it would be matched right away.

There is also the $40 nationwide my5 plan from telus.

350 daytime

UL EW from 9 (but you can easily get this changed to 6 if you bargain with them)

unlimited talk and text to 5 numbers nationwide

Again bargain with them to get CID and VM thrown in. Bargaining is not that hard with telus, especially now since the iPhone is coming out on rogers and if you are willing to sign a 2-3 year contract.

bell acctually has a similar plan (uber fab 5) that matches the my 5 plan from telus. Any provider will match eachother, so it really boils down to which provider you're most comfortable with, were your current plan is, and how much you can bargain. I had a plan with telus and since my contract was coming to an end, I told them I would cancel unless they offered me an amazing plan. The offered my a $10 plan that's better than most $30-40 plans.

the point is, if you want to bargain a good plan, the best way to do it, is to threaten to cancel. You'll get transferred to the retention department, and they have a lot more power to offer you discounts and awesome rate plans that aren't available to normal customer service reps. Most normal customer service reps don't even know the $10 plan I was offered exists.

yeah, and the voice recognition lady is kind of annoying too. She would be like "what is your request?" and I would say "contract cancellation", hoping to get transferred to the retention department.. but instead, that damn robot lady says "alright, cancelled! back to main menu! what is your request?"

argghh :mad:

Archived