Premed 101 Forums

How much do Physicians make on average in Ontario?

no one point of view can claim meaning. meaning comes from the interaction between writer and reader(s) - and with a cursory read-through of this thread, sounds like there's some hotness at that interface. if you want a reader, you must allow for a co-created meaning, and co-created fall-out, and co-created repair. that's what relationship, conversation and meaning are all about.

reply in previous was to this.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe I'm propogating the madness, but here's the link to the most recent public salary disclosure figures from Ontario. For salaried positions working out of hospitals (eg pathologists, radiologists, some psych, etc) it gives an idea, at least. This is obviously not representative of all physicians, and salary may not be the only source of income for the physicians on the list.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/publications/salarydisclosure/2008/hospit08.html

I don't quite understand this list. Why aren't there cardiologists, gastros, orthos, other specialties? It seems to only have a few. Does this reflect different billing practices of certain specialties?

I would really like to have some ideas of physician salaries.

I don't quite understand this list. Why aren't there cardiologists, gastros, orthos, other specialties? It seems to only have a few. Does this reflect different billing practices of certain specialties?

I would really like to have some ideas of physician salaries.

Answers: Because they bill fee-for-service and Yes. There's a CMA document floating around somewhere which describes typical gross billings for given specialties in different provinces, but I don't have the link handy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Bah, such an idealist point of view. Money matters. Every attending I have spoken to says that of course you want to help people, but we work to hard not to want some compensation. Especially when when you get called at 3am, or when you deal with someone who has a cold for the 1000th time. Passion and caring doesn't last forever, and it is important to recognize that no matter how much you may love your job, it is still just that, a job.

can i just say a few things:

1) about the importance of salary, why do we forget that we LOSE YEARS of potential income while doing medschool and then while being paid 50k type of salary during residency?? and that so many of us get into huge debt putting themselves through medschool, yes, even in canada, bc let's say not everyone has anyone helping them? no one paid a cent for me during medschool, and the workload is such that there is no way to make any money on the side, except during the summer of 1st year.

2) i did one year of dentistry prior to medschool, and in the very first year, they told the class that dentists are the profession with the highest suicide rate. Like another post said, you hear about suicide as soon as you get into med, dent, law...it's just stupid to be scared of that. i heard of one physician who committed suicide, and that was after her license was revoked for falsifying prescriptions.

3) some other post here stated this absurdity :" as a GP, you get prescription rights, as opposed to a psychiatrist." Who si this person who believes psychiatrists have no prescription rights? not in medschool yet, i guess. be sure to know medical specialties for your interviews, seriously.

Guest copacetic
These threads are so futile and almost a waste of time.

Frankly, the public will truly never know how much physicians make. There isn't an "average" salary that is reliable. There are ballpark numbers based on many circumstances.

You need to treat each specialty in medicine as an entirely different career. You also need to treat each specialty as essentially a different career on an individual level basis.

For example, a general surgeon practicing in an academic setting who chooses to devote time to research will be making significantly less than the next guy who's doing community work. The vascular surgeon who's working in an academic setting will be making less than the next vascular surgeon who likes to run varicose vein clinics. Same goes for the plastics guy running private cosmetics clinic, or the ob/gyn into fertility clinics, or the family doctor doing hair transplants.

I've had an ob/gyn tell me that he makes at least 100% more as his other ob/gyn colleagues. I've had family doctors say they bill 35k a month with friday afternoons off and a 9-4 schedule. I JUST finished a day where my preceptor showed me (as in, on paper) his billings for the day - 1650 for just under 10 hours of work - and he sees considerably less patients than the first family doctor I worked with.

because of 1) variations in each specialty, 2) variations in how each physician in a specific specialty will choose to practice, and 3) variations in practice management and administration, and 4) variations in remunerations methods, you will see numbers literally all over the place. It's really, really an exercise in futility to try to converge all of these factors into average incomes.

Money matters, but it isn't everything and it isn't the first and foremost. We've all sacrificed way too much to not care about remuneration. We've also sacrificed way too much for us to simply pick a specialty based on remuneration, despite a lack of interest, to just "grind it out".

And no, for the love of all that is holy, average lawyers don't make more than we do, and neither does the average MBA grad, stop saying that!

what he said

k, im just throwing this in there, because it's a quirk i kind of noticed... but does anyone find the euphemism of "renumeration" funny, i've never heard this term outside of medicine, it's not like you say, well, a pharmacist is renumerated a hundred and twenty k... it's almost as if someone's paying someone back for a debt, i.e. company a damaged 120 k worth of company b's property and company a is just making sure they're properly renumerated... this post doesnt really mean anything, more of a have you ever noticed thing, lol

k, im just throwing this in there, because it's a quirk i kind of noticed... but does anyone find the euphemism of "renumeration" funny, i've never heard this term outside of medicine, it's not like you say, well, a pharmacist is renumerated a hundred and twenty k... it's almost as if someone's paying someone back for a debt, i.e. company a damaged 120 k worth of company b's property and company a is just making sure they're properly renumerated... this post doesnt really mean anything, more of a have you ever noticed thing, lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remuneration

• 8 months later...

i think many specialties are overpaid, and many are underpaid... you're lucky the gov put's yellow tape around med, it'd be a scary world if med students had to venture, systemically, into the world of private business, it's just not them... you can get around most rules or policies anyways, but like i said, most physician types believe in structure, rules and policies.. they exist, but only narrowly

Why the heck is the government so involved in Medicine? They put the yellow tape over everything and there's so many rules and policies.

It's a shame. It should be more like the business called Dentistry.

Are there any groups out there fighting for physicians to get more cash? I still think docs are underpaid.

I also think FPs should start getting some serious cash even if you don't go live in the wilderness of rural Canada.

cool post modernism, my meaning disagrees with ur's and i want my way, now what :( ?

no one point of view can claim meaning. meaning comes from the interaction between writer and reader(s) - and with a cursory read-through of this thread, sounds like there's some hotness at that interface. if you want a reader, you must allow for a co-created meaning, and co-created fall-out, and co-created repair. that's what relationship, conversation and meaning are all about.

Archived