Premed 101 Forums

Pension time!

Guest FockI'mOld!

Guest FockI'mOld!

How do Docs receive their pension from?

I'm guessing it depends if you're private or work in hospital?

How good is the pension? As good as teachers?

I thought this would apply to those in the private sector or FP. No?

I am not sure what exactly you mean by private sector...do you mean self-employed?

There are a few doctors who will have pensions....community medicine docs as they hold government positions typically. I am not 100% sure but PERHAPS pathologists??

I do not know the details...as I am not there in my career yet...but it has something to do with the fact that you can't deduct expenses such as nurses, receptionists etc and still contribute to pensions. And once you deduct these expenses you become self employed and cannot contribute to pensions. It doesn`t really make a whole lot of sense to me. All I know is most physicians do not have pensions. Which is pretty darn crappy!! This would be for fee for service. If you aren`t fee for service, I don`t know what kind of options there are.

Great idea about what we should tell all docs. Don't marry who you love, just marry a teacher, lol.

:P

Actually that is what happen, they either married a teacher, or a nurse.

Hospital have a pension (HOOPP for ontario), however, I don't think any doc contributes to it! Because doc's salary mostly come from OHIP billing not hospital capital budget, you are not paid by the hospital.

You have to contribute your own RRSP and own Non-RRSP investment. Unless you are in military then you get a government pension!

Teacher's pension is probably one of the best in Canada, next will be CAW, if you don't get laid off!

________

ARIZONA MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Physicians who are hospital employees get a pension. Someone mentioned pathologists, and that is correct for almost all hospitals (I think there are a few exceptions but they typically are considered employees and are members of the hospital's pension plan). Most physicians are not employees though, therefore no employer to set up and contribute to the plan. It's similar to many small business owners.

It's too bad that doctors do not have a pension plan, but I think that if we want this to change, someone has to be dedicated enough to lobby for it. I wonder if there are any groups currently trying to push for pension?

I find it insulting that doctors, a very important part of the Canadian societal system, and a cornerstone of the Canadian national identity, don't even get a pension!

Doctors aren't rich! Many of them require pensions, especially GPs!

However, on the plus side, they're much more independent from the government than teachers and nurses.

As someone who worked in several large companies before medicine, nothing is worse then some bureaucrat, who has no background in what you are doing, breathing down your neck all the time and telling you how to do your job. If the govt. was to give physicians pensions, then I can guarantee they would want more control over physicians practices and actions.

Archived