Premed 101 Forums

is this true or rumor?

1. Not all of the physiology students applied to medicine (although most did).

2. At least one was accepted at a school outside of BC.

After taking this into consideration, yes, there will be no UBC physiology students in the UBC med class of 2012. Quite ridiculous if you ask me, as they are all quite great students and have accomplished a lot.

mistah_g

for those physiology students who apply UBC MED been rejected,are they not "well round" students? not even one? it is a shock fact, and it is really contradict my understanding how picky the physiology pick their student. something wrong with those students or the MED interview board?

Hi there,

If we are strictly talking academics, I know one student with 81% overall got accepted into UBC physiology this year, so it seems to be getting easier to get into this program.

For comparison, average overall GPA of matriculated UBC Med applicants has been around 82-83%.

Cheers,

Charlatan

Well, I think you shouldn't read too much into it. I knew 5 people from the 2004 phyl grad class who are in UBC Medicine.

I think one of the key reasons for the difference in expectation is what each faculty is looking for. While Physiology accepts students based on marks, UBC Medicine gives a perfect AQ for any mark above 85 percent. Hence, those with the 90 percent might have gotten into UBC Phyl, but do not have any more of an advantage than those with just 85 percent.

Hi there,

If we are strictly talking academics, I know one student with 81% overall got accepted into UBC physiology this year, so it seems to be getting easier to get into this program.

For comparison, average overall GPA of matriculated UBC Med applicants has been around 82-83%.

Cheers,

Charlatan

Lol, did you see their transcript with your own eyeballs? :rolleyes:

mistah_g

for those physiology students who apply UBC MED been rejected,are they not "well round" students? not even one? it is a shock fact, and it is really contradict my understanding how picky the physiology pick their student. something wrong with those students or the MED interview board?

I have taken a few classes with these students and am quite familiar with most of them. I would say that most of them are quite well rounded. A variety of factors can affect whether or not a student gets accepted into medicine.

For example: Maybe they all stripped naked during the interview and did a belly dance, which may (or may not) have offended their interviewers, thus killing their chances of getting in regardless of whether or not their AQ or NAQ were on par with everybody else that chose not to go in the buff.

Well, I think you shouldn't read too much into it. I knew 5 people from the 2004 phyl grad class who are in UBC Medicine.

I think one of the key reasons for the difference in expectation is what each faculty is looking for. While Physiology accepts students based on marks, UBC Medicine gives a perfect AQ for any mark above 85 percent. Hence, those with the 90 percent might have gotten into UBC Phyl, but do not have any more of an advantage than those with just 85 percent.

Exactly right.

I think it's rather obvious that I was referring to the Physiology students, and not the Matriculants. But thank you for the citation.

Hi,

I said "one student", so I don't think it is that obvious when you said "their transcript".

This student that I talked to could be the very last person accepted into the physiology program (ie. ranked last in that class based on marks), because traditionally there have been many students with stellar marks in that program. I don't see why he would lie to me about acceptance and his marks. Sorry if I hurt your pride and feelings, because you are apparently a UBC physiology student.

C

Hi,

I said "one student", so I don't think it is that obvious when you said "their transcript".

This student that I talked to could be the very last person accepted into the physiology program (ie. ranked last in that class based on marks), because traditionally there have been many students with stellar marks in that program. I don't see why he would lie to me about acceptance and his marks. Sorry if I hurt your pride and feelings, because you are apparently a UBC physiology student.

C

Incorrect about the physiology student thing, but thanks for playing. I don't see why you should feel the need to apologize or presume that I have hurt pride or feelings. I am simply stating the fact that people often lie. Never trust the patient when you take Patient Hx, etc. If you have a problem with me then you can take it to PM.

Physiology doesn't help you get into med; it only helps you once you're IN med, so I don't understand why Phyl students are being highlighted in this thread.

And for the record, from the 4th year class this year, 2 got into schools outside BC and 2 are waitlisted at UBC. Mind you, these are only numbers from a class of 8 graduating students this year.

Also, this year, three 3rd year Phyl students got into UBC med.

Hi there,

Cheers,

Charlatan

was that 2nd -> third year admission?

I got rejected with 82% 1st year -> 2nd year.

They said the admission average was 84% this year for 20 spots.

So I wonder why it's so competitive to get in and all the spots fill up, but only very few students graduate? I looked at the stats of degrees conferred each year, and it's way less than the 20-25 people that they admit into the program, why?

Are you sure it is 20? It could be a recent expansion. I know this is old info, but back when I was in undergrad, the number of spots offered each year in the Faculty of Physiology is 11.

As for the lack of people graduating, it could be due to people dropping out because they are pursuing another career such as Medicine or Dentistry.

Are you sure it is 20? It could be a recent expansion. I know this is old info, but back when I was in undergrad, the number of spots offered each year in the Faculty of Physiology is 11.

As for the lack of people graduating, it could be due to people dropping out because they are pursuing another career such as Medicine or Dentistry.

That's what the life sciences admission person told me.

So maybe it has expanded. Mind you, the last I heard, Physiology merged with Anatomy (did I hear wrong?).

I think many in the forum have already pointed out that an undergrad is not significant to the Admissions Committee. Hence, don't worry about it.

This thread has achieved so much notoriety within its short lifetime, that I was referred to it by at least 3 different people over the past 2 hours. After I read the contents of this thread I was immediately struck by the feeling that a certain two members of this forum are trying to make a point about UBC Physiology. Oh, and, I was inspired to make this my inaugural post.

First of all I would like to say that the Physiology Department trains its students excellently for a career in research. 20 page journal-style lab reports must be turned in weekly starting in 3rd year, there is an honours thesis, and finally the exam questions are all in the form of lab-report style essays. It is absurd to assume that physiology provides its students a direct route into medicine, such that, if a physiology student is not accepted into med, then s/he is a 'failure' or an indication that the prestige of honours physiology is slipping. In actuality, I would expect physiology to hinder a student's ability to gain entry into medicine due to the sheer difficulty of the program itself.

Regardless of your original intentions, the wording of your post insinuates that the standards of Physiology has sunk to levels that are considered sub-par for medicine. You have also apparently lost your cool in this next statement and have resorted to personal attacks.

Sorry if I hurt your pride and feelings, because you are apparently a UBC physiology student.

So from this comment, we at premed101 can rest assured that, anybody disagreeing with your statement must certainly be a physiology student.

I looked at the stats of degrees conferred each year, and it's way less than the 20-25 people that they admit into the program, why?

Physiology does not always admit 20-25 people. The number of people that are accepted change every year, depending on the applicant pool (much like in Med, hehe). There is also an interview involved, in which the admin can gauge the applicant's motivation and potential. Perhaps that round 20-25 you are thinking of actually includes honours pharmacology students. I have also known of several students 'dropping out' of the program, so to speak, for greener pastures in commerce. But I think what we have all forgotten, is that a new trend has struck physiology wherein many students choose to pursue co-op placement. With this in mind, the numbers indeed add up.

So maybe it has expanded.

The 2008 graduating class of physiology consisted of 8 people. 11 were originally admitted. The 3 unaccounted for were polished off by co-op and greener pastures.

Last of all, can you enlarge your signature, Charlatan? I am having trouble seeing it clearly; it's under such small sizing.

This thread has achieved so much notoriety within its short lifetime, that I was referred to it by at least 3 different people over the past 2 hours. After I read the contents of this thread I was immediately struck by the feeling that a certain two members of this forum are trying to make a point about UBC Physiology. Oh, and, I was inspired to make this my inaugural post.

First of all I would like to say that the Physiology Department trains its students excellently for a career in research. 20 page journal-style lab reports must be turned in weekly starting in 3rd year, there is an honours thesis, and finally the exam questions are all in the form of lab-report style essays. It is absurd to assume that physiology provides its students a direct route into medicine, such that, if a physiology student is not accepted into med, then s/he is a 'failure' or an indication that the prestige of honours physiology is slipping. In actuality, I would expect physiology to hinder a student's ability to gain entry into medicine due to the sheer difficulty of the program itself.

Regardless of your original intentions, the wording of your post insinuates that the standards of Physiology has sunk to levels that are considered sub-par for medicine. You have also apparently lost your cool in this next statement and have resorted to personal attacks.

So from this comment, we at premed101 can rest assured that, anybody disagreeing with your statement must certainly be a physiology student.

Physiology does not always admit 20-25 people. The number of people that are accepted change every year, depending on the applicant pool (much like in Med, hehe). There is also an interview involved, in which the admin can gauge the applicant's motivation and potential. Perhaps that round 20-25 you are thinking of actually includes honours pharmacology students. I have also known of several students 'dropping out' of the program, so to speak, for greener pastures in commerce. But I think what we have all forgotten, is that a new trend has struck physiology wherein many students choose to pursue co-op placement. With this in mind, the numbers indeed add up.

The 2008 graduating class of physiology consisted of 8 people. 11 were originally admitted. The 3 unaccounted for were polished off by co-op and greener pastures.

Last of all, can you enlarge your signature, Charlatan? I am having trouble seeing it clearly; it's under such small sizing.

There's no interview, it's all based on marks, at least now it is.

Are you in the program? If so, where do the weekly 20 page journal-style lab reports and lab-report style final exam questions come from (what course)?

I don't think it's the case with PHYL 301, I thought all the PHYL lecture courses were more multiple choice type exams? Or are you talking about PHYL 303 lab and the 6 credit lab course in 4th year?

Thanks.

There's no interview, it's all based on marks, at least now it is.

That's a real shame! An interview-style meeting gives you a really good idea of what the program/admin is like.

where do the weekly 20 page journal-style lab reports and lab-report style final exam questions come from (what course)?

The lab reports come from Phyl 303 and Phyl 430. In 430, the lab reports must be handed in within 5 days of the lab. The essay/lab-report style final exam questions are the only type of questions that are available in Phyl 422, Phyl 423, Phyl 424, Phyl 426 and (kinda) Phyl 430.

I don't think it's the case with PHYL 301, I thought all the PHYL lecture courses were more multiple choice type exams?

You thought that all physiology courses were multiple choice type exams? :eek:

...Anyhow, this is only the case for Phyl 301 as this course is essentially open to all students. "Multiple Choice" and "Point Form" and actual "Short Answer" questions cease to exist in phyl courses outside of 301. Well, I suppose one could try to answer with point form or with a short answer, but s/he would fail miserably...

Why, I never meant to attack the physiology program in any way. The one student talk I referred to is one student (n=1) and should not be taken to represent the whole class or program (n=20?). I think you misinterpreted my comments.

I made that comment after readinig previous posts by dott. He said in some of his previous posts that he "has taken classes with UBC physiology students", and that "UBC honours physiology is the most difficult program in UBC science", so I guessed that he is one of the physiology students to have the such insights in his comments. Again, I think you over-analyzed my comments here.

I guess my signature makes me an arrogant jerk. I will erase it and will leave my signature blank for the rest of my life.

Little Rock, I do have a question. If those students have decided to take a year for CO-OP, wouldn't those students who are in CO-OP the year earlier kinda replace them? Or does the number of students going on CO-OP vary year to year?

I am glad you clarified the number of students admitted into Physiology. I was surprised/shocked that the department was considering expanding when I heard funding was an issue already. I didn't know the number of students varied like Pharmacology. I know that for the grad class of 2005, they ballooned up to 27 students (from the usual 18) because they had so many excellent candidates. Glad Phyl is also flexible.

Little Rock, I do have a question. If those students have decided to take a year for CO-OP, wouldn't those students who are in CO-OP the year earlier kinda replace them? Or does the number of students going on CO-OP vary year to year?

That's a good question; we did not have any co-op students from the previous year joining our class. The class before us was also extremely small (9 students in total), and had one or two students joining them. I think the number of students going in to co-op varies each year. It's not exactly a route that is condoned by the physiology department. Last year, it was discouraged.

I am glad you clarified the number of students admitted into Physiology. I was surprised/shocked that the department was considering expanding when I heard funding was an issue already. I didn't know the number of students varied like Pharmacology. I know that for the grad class of 2005, they ballooned up to 27 students (from the usual 18) because they had so many excellent candidates. Glad Phyl is also flexible.

Haha, I'm not sure how flexible Phyl is ;) The numbers are never concrete so one can never guess how many students will be accepted each year. The trend seems to very random: 16, 20, 9, 8, 16, 8, 20, etc.

Why, I never meant to attack the physiology program in any way. The one student talk I referred to is one student (n=1) and should not be taken to represent the whole class or program (n=20?). I think you misinterpreted my comments.

I made that comment after readinig previous posts by dott. He said in some of his previous posts that he "has taken classes with UBC physiology students", and that "UBC honours physiology is the most difficult program in UBC science", so I guessed that he is one of the physiology students to have the such insights in his comments. Again, I think you over-analyzed my comments here.

I guess my signature makes me an arrogant jerk. I will erase it and will leave my signature blank for the rest of my life.

well...your signature doesn't make you an arrogant jerk. your signature looks good and it is somewhat of a milestone. put it back on...make it bold and colourful :) .

well...your signature doesn't make you an arrogant jerk. your signature looks good and it is somewhat of a milestone. put it back on...make it bold and colourful :) .

I agree. Little rock, it is ironic that you can put yourself in the position of dissecting another's argument and dismiss him as being rude when you seem to be dishing out a rather knarkesque attack yourself.

I agree. Little rock, it is ironic that you can put yourself in the position of dissecting another's argument and dismiss him as being rude when you seem to be dishing out a rather knarkesque attack yourself.

Dearest phulmayaaaaa, I would have to disagree. I think it chalks up as sarcasm rather than irony. Also, I'm not sure what 'knarkesque' means, but maybe you feel that my comment was a bit snarky (I actually thought it was rather amusing).

Y'all so sensitive!

tyra.gif ...charlatan

tyra_kmfa.gif ...phulmayaa

tyra.gif ...little rock

Anyways, I think all of the questions in this thread have been answered. Hope the gifs made you guys laugh; no hard feelings :P

Archived