Premed 101 Forums

Could you guys suggest where to take MCAT preparation classes in Vancouver? And is it okay to take courses alongside or does it get too tough?

Kaplan has more sessions and locations than Princeton, so if flexibility is an issue go with Kaplan.

As to which one is better, I think it all really depends on how much you put into it.

Expect to study 10-15 hours/week for ~16 weeks for the MCAT (could be less, but this is how much I put in on average). If you can fit in another dozen hours plus the review class hours in your weekly schedule, then it's do-able.

If you are focused and have done well with correspondence courses in the past, then you may want to consider self-study by buying a big review book then using that alongside with your classnotes; buy the AAMC sample tests for your full-length mock. The commitment time will be the same but you'll save about $1000. Another advantage is you study at your own pace, with review classes, you go at the pace of the slowest person in class (the instructor needs to make sure *everyone* understands what they are being taught).

Good luck.

Kaplan has more sessions and locations than Princeton, so if flexibility is an issue go with Kaplan.

As to which one is better, I think it all really depends on how much you put into it.

Expect to study 10-15 hours/week for ~16 weeks for the MCAT (could be less, but this is how much I put in on average). If you can fit in another dozen hours plus the review class hours in your weekly schedule, then it's do-able.

If you are focused and have done well with correspondence courses in the past, then you may want to consider self-study by buying a big review book then using that alongside with your classnotes; buy the AAMC sample tests for your full-length mock. The commitment time will be the same but you'll save about $1000. Another advantage is you study at your own pace, with review classes, you go at the pace of the slowest person in class (the instructor needs to make sure *everyone* understands what they are being taught).

Good luck.

Studying for 4 months is complete overkill.

Guest 02'topaz
Studying for 4 months is complete overkill.

weeks is such a relative term. Let's break it down to hours ppl :). I studied for 2 weeks but 10 hours a day :). It worked!

weeks is such a relative term. Let's break it down to hours ppl :). I studied for 2 weeks but 10 hours a day :). It worked!

Weird, I did the exact opposite, about 2 hours a day for 10 weeks (not including the time I spent sitting in the Kaplan class wishing I was outside, can't say the in class stuff helped me that much, the course mainly just helped me stick to a schedule.)

Archived