Premed 101 Forums

HELP! Research Necessary?

I am an incoming medical student at The University of Manitoba. I know it is quite early to begin thinking of specialties but I had a question about the importance of research in getting accepted into a more competitive field. I don't have a research background and am not sure whether I want to spend my preclerkship summers doing research. Quite honestly, I think I'd rather do electives and observerships than research in the summer. So, is it really important for me to do some research in medical school if I want to go into specialized surgery, dermatology, or radiology? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Research isn't for everyone and granted not everyone does research in the summer. However, if you know for sure you want derm, ophtho, urology, etc. I would highly recommend pursuing research to allow you to stay with the pack. Unfortunately, this only works out well if you know where you want to go. Derm research won't help out an ophtho application too much (any research is still good though).

You might be able to get away with no research with radiology if you get along really well with the people in the program, but being a competitive specialty, this is probably more the exception than anything else. But for derm and most of the competitive surgical subspecialities (uro, ENT, ophtho, etc), research is "highly recommend" by the programs, which basically means, you must do research to be competitive. Research isn't for everyone, but if you want a competitive specialty, maybe you can just do a mini case report? enough to show your interest at least. good luck!

• 1 month later...

case reports are a good alternative to research although they do not hold the same value as original research. In my opinion, you could probably get by without research if you are applying to radiology although I wouldn't recommend it. However, the rest of your application ie electives etc needs to be stellar.

Archived