Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys

I was wondering what is the least commitment time frame they look for when it comes to volunteering? The thing is I am going to apply for med school around fall 09 to start the program around fall 2010 and I havent been involved in any volunteering services ever since I joined university. I just have pre-university experiences. So I was wondering if I start volunteering now, will it look too fake on my resume...u kno wat i mean, just a year before the application and all...? Please advice like u did the last time.

Thanks.

well it's better if u have at least 1-2 activities u've been doing for at least a couple yrs, but it's ok to have several short-term stuff...say a few months' commitment. some ppl start things a couple months before apps are due and still include them. it's ok as long as not all ur activities are 'last-minute'. did u do any volunteering while in HS? maybe u could pick it up again now to show more commitment.

besides, who's to say it won't take u 3-4 tries to get in..if u start now, by then u'll look very very committed.

;) jks :P

LOL @ the last line.

the sad part is I cant pick off from the volunteering work I did in HS because I am not orignally from here...and my experiences are from home i.e Nepal. I guess i will just have to take my chances with short term volunteering. :(

Archived