Premed 101 Forums

conversion of gpa to %

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can gather UBC takes your grades at face value. Unless your institution's transcript has gpa-to-percent conversions explicitly listed, which they will then use, UBC directly converts letter grades according to the UBC grading scheme. I.e. a 4.0 gpa at a school that uses 4.0 as a maximum would convert to 85% at UBC. A 3.67 (i.e. an A- average at many schools) would convert to 80%. It's unfortunate that they don't really account for the fact that an A at other schools should be more like an A+ at UBC, but I guess they prefer to scale students down as opposed to scaling them up.

From what I can gather UBC takes your grades at face value. Unless your institution's transcript has gpa-to-percent conversions explicitly listed, which they will then use, UBC directly converts letter grades according to the UBC grading scheme. I.e. a 4.0 gpa at a school that uses 4.0 as a maximum would convert to 85% at UBC. A 3.67 (i.e. an A- average at many schools) would convert to 80%. It's unfortunate that they don't really account for the fact that an A at other schools should be more like an A+ at UBC, but I guess they prefer to scale students down as opposed to scaling them up.

Looking at my file review from last year, I don't think it quite works out like that. I had four courses that were letter grades from my Masters added on to my UBC percentage GPA and if I work out the math using the number of credits I added (Overall Average from file review*Total Credits - UBC Average*UBC Credits ), two A+s and two As average out to about 88.5% added to my application per course. If they just used the lowest mark, they would have averaged out to 87.5%.

It's possible I'm screwing something up somewhere though.

Archived