Premed 101 Forums

Question regarding dropping lowest year

I have a question regarding how UofA drops your lowest year marks. I realize this is an extreme example but maybe someone can shed some light.

So i totally ****ed around in high school and my science grades were basically a C- average. I started Uni in a general arts program and then decided to switch to nursing (with absolutely no thought about medicine at the time). so i had to basically retake all my high school sciences and math for the year before I started nursing school. Consequently, i only took three university credit courses during the whole year with an average of about 3.4 or so and this year turns out to be my lowest gpa year even though i wasn't even close to attending full time.

As you can see my university career is totally messed up since I took 1 year full time general arts, then 1 year part time arts while upgrading my high school marks before I completed my 4 year BScN. Moreover, once I realized that med was my passion I had to return to uni to do two years of pre-reqs since I had not completed a single one in my previous undergrad experience.

Thankfully, my overall university gpa is way better than my highschool grades and depending on how you read them my cpga is betwen 3.7-3.8 (depending on whether you count summer courses etc...) with a moderate increasing trend in marks.

so will UofA drop this year of marks or do they only drop a year where you attended full time? or do they just drop a years worth of marks regardless of when they were taken?

i would be very appreciative if anyone had some insight into this type of situation.

i am in a very bizarre situation, because i calculated if you take off my lowest FULL TIME year it leads to a higher cpga then if they'd take off my lowest part time year (where my gpa for the year was lower than the full time year). i will have to email them to see if the formula is aimed at giving the applicant the best possible gpa or if the lowest year is taken off regardless of how many classes you took.

Archived