Premed 101 Forums

Publications Help

Hello,

I was wondering: During my summer research I had a change to gather data but havnt been able to use it my self to write a paper. However, a grad student did use some of my data for her research paper (for her PHD). And gave me appreciation in the end of the article.

Would I include this under the publications section, and how?

Thanks for you help.

Technically if your name does not appear in the list of authors then it is not your publication and I would not list it on an application. People get acknowledged at the end of papers for all sorts of minor, albeit still valuable, contributions. For instance, I once acknowledged the meat shop butcher that provided me with animal bone samples (ie. dead carcasses) that I used in my research :)

From my short experience with research, I learned that appreciations are meaningless. They do not go on your CV or anything. If you did contribute significantly and received an appreciation, you got screwed.

so she only used few (minor) of my samples that she had been working on for a while and couldnt get but i managed to find a solution...

so she only used few (minor) of my samples that she had been working on for a while and couldnt get but i managed to find a solution...

yes, but your name still needs to appear as one of the actual authors to have it considered to be your paper. :)

does anyone know what meeting abstracts are considered?

So, I got a reply from UBC about meeting abstracts and such. Basically they said to put it under whichever section you find most suitable, and that they won't penalize you for something you have actually done. So I guess don't worry about the section; just state clearly what the publication is and all the authors involved :)

Archived