Premed 101 Forums

Rant - Full-Time Course Load

So here's the deal.

I completed my bachelor degree in 5 years. The first four years were part time (3-4 courses) because I had to work in order to be able to pay for school. In my last year I still worked but I took a full course load, and it just so happens that I got the best marks in that semester.

Correct me if you think this is a convoluded way of thinking. I believe that my ability to complete a bachelor degree in 5 years with a good GPA, while working a minimum of 25 hours a week at a job that I love demonstrates that I am able to handle a heavy work load while still maintaining good grades and remaining passionate about what I do. Nevermind the fact that in my last year when I actually took a full course load (and still worked 4 days a week) I got the best GPA of all 5 years.

Apparently Ottawa disagrees......and I am left fustrated :confused::mad: (there is no fustrated emoticon, so I thought that a combination of confused/mad would suffice.)

END OF RANT

Clarification:

I am applying this September for entry in Fall 2009. I emailed Ottawa asking about my situation. They said that because I only took 3-4 courses a semester, that I didn't meet their requirements. Their requirements are in place so that they admit students who are able to handle a heavy work load.

You should have done your research 5 years ago if you wanted to be a doctor.

Not trying to be harsh but I just don't have any sympathy, probably because I'm taking more than double the courses you are w/ work.

I totally wish that I knew 100% what I wanted to do with my life at the age of 17, but I didn't. I just knew that I loved the field of psychology/science, that I had to work while I went to school, and that medicine was an option, if I kept my grades up.

So I figure all I can do is now is apply for schools that don't hold that against me, and rant a few times here and there!

Just checking....4 courses is still a 'full-time' student and that is accepted as long as you make up the credits either during the summer or added onto another semester before you apply, right?

Yes you are right. My problem was that I did 3 courses every fall, 4 courses every winter, and 1-2 courses in the summer.

Ottawa says that you have to take minimum 8 courses from september-april, and where you only take 8 you have to make up the credits later on on.

It's a tricky one.

I did 2 years of undergrad p-t as I was working f-t. Without working, I couldn't afford to attend uni.

Now, I'm doing my last years of uni full-time. I work part time, which certainly doesn't help my GPA, but I have no other choice. It's this or I don't attend school and never even have the chance to apply to medicine.

Some of us have to work a bit harder behind the scenes.

Archived