Premed 101 Forums

Application thoughts... any ideas?

Here I thought I must be missing something...it does seem particularly strange to me that in the application manual it states that admission is based on 35% academic and 65% personal qualities but yet they don't seem to assess any personal qualities.

Am I correct in assuming that only those that meet their academic cutoffs are invited for an interview and that the 65% personal qualities is based on the MMI interview?? I'm an OOP and my 2-year GPA is only 84.4% but I have a lot of ECs, research and healthcare experience but I doubt I'd meet the cutoffs to get an interview to even have the chance to demonstrate my personal qualities.

Not sure if it's even worth applying at this point...

Hi all,

I believe that many schools actually require a photo submission (if not during application, they will ask you to bring in one when you are selected for interview). Why they require a photo I have no idea, but many do.

As for non academic criteria, it is assessed by the MMI predominantly and the reference letters. The reasoning behind why there is no essay/lists of extracurricular activities based on my understanding from the admissions committee is that basically none of these methods have been shown by research to have any statistically significant relationship to non academic characteristics. I believe the problem may be that it is easy to be 'fake' in your essay writing, and it is also a resource problem to verify every extracurricular activity a student does (and whether they are doing it for genuine interest, or just to get into med school, etc etc). Apparently only the MMI has been shown through research to be effective in selecting for non academic criteria. (i have not done my research in this area, so dont quote me on this!)

hmm...and about Q about highschool....my guess is that it may be useful to verify Saskatchewan Residency. Most schools (including UofS) have preference to local residents, and spots are quite competitive for OOP students. Currently there are 6 spots reserved for OOP students for a class of 84. Students from first aboriginal descent are also given special consideration through the aboriginal equity access program.

Hope that answers some of your questions!

I would guess that the photograph is required so that the College can verify that the person who submitted the application is the person who shows up for the interview. Something like this was the reason why a photograph was required to write the MCAT...at least a picture was required back when I wrote the exam.

Or, perhaps the photograph is used simply to remind all of the members of the admissions committee who you are exactly when discussing your application. I'm pretty sure recalling information is much easier with an image as a prompt, rather than just a name.

It is strange that the only way the U of S evaluates one's extracurriculars and personal qualities is through the MMI. While I am a fan of the MMI, I believe that it is weighted too heavily at the U of S. Also, from my experience last year, there were few stations where you could elaborate on your personal experiences, with a number of stations (4 out of 10) being role playing stations.

Archived