Premed 101 Forums

Tablet laptops for Ottawa med?

Guest mk08

Seriously you could those stupid things for $1000? Sigh, why did I purchase from med tech.

That was my first thought :)

Maybe the convenience? I am lucky enough to have a strong computer background, so I won't need support from anyone. Probably write some software to help with the system provided.

That was my first thought :)

Maybe the convenience? I am lucky enough to have a strong computer background, so I won't need support from anyone. Probably write some software to help with the system provided.

what kind of computer background do you need when the warranty is next business day ONSITE? ---> finding dell's 24 hour tech support hotline number and whining to a nice man in Delhi?

medtech will provide software support for you. they tell you there maybe custom software that comes with the laptops pre-loaded, them mean office 2007, adobe reader, adobe flash and vpn client (which is useless, I switched to WPA),

medtech just won't fix your computer if keyboard breaks. but think about it, they don't fix it anyways, they rely on warranty too.

so a medtech computer: medtech software + dell warranty + 15 day free trial to world of warcraft

your own computer: medtech software + dell warranty (you have to buy office 2007 separately but these days it's all included with new computers)

I don't get what the fuss is about.

If you have never seen a computer before in your life, it's time to learn HOW, it's easier than getting into medical school, I promise.

Alright, I have to give my opinion to balance the medtech bashing here since Jerry and Olivier are two of the few who didn't get the the medtech laptops. Its just my opinion, but if our class had 150 macs, I bet there would be a bunch with problems just based on the number... every company has its lemons. I personally have had no problems with the dell other than getting kicked off the network at times... I have no problem connecting to wireless at home so I am guessing it is a network issue not a dell issue. The tablet functionality is great for certain classes and like Raed said, I haven't had to print any notes this year and I don't think I could go back. Times when Ive needed to borrow something from medtech such as a power cords or extra battery when I forgot mine has been helpful as well. Overall its definitley pricey and you could buy a more powerful computer for a lot cheaper, but I don't need any more power for what we use it for so am pretty happy with it.

elemenoepe

uottawa meds12

The sad truth is... no matter what we say about how it's not worth it to get the school's recommended tablet, a majority of people will get it anyways either out of insecurity or apathy or informed critical thinking. What's the 150,000$+ in line of credit for, right boys and girls? :o wait til you develop alcoholism and that crack habit, lol, you'll need every penny you can get!

I would leave this discussion alone for now until you guys have decided to come to Ottawa (July), by that time the information on the tablet used will be available... who knows, maybe they might really have a 3000$ tablet that is so military grade you can't buy it on ebay by then.

As a fellow tablet PC user, I have to say I love the flexibility of typing and writing on my notes. One alternative to buying a tablet PC might be to spend less money and get a nice, thin "regular" laptop, and purchase a tablet and pen that you connect via USB. You can keep both of these in your bookbag.

If you want to type the majority of your notes and do the occasional doodle, you can plug the tablet in and use the pen. I'm not exactly sure how much these external tablets are, but the laptop + tablet/pen combo will probably be cheaper than buying a tablet PC. Plus, you can probably get a regular laptop with better specs for a cheaper price and you won't have to worry about some tablet PCs flimsy screen swivel (although mine's been great).

If I could do it over again I wouldn't have bought the laptop.

-The tablet function can be fun and convenient for taking short notes on-screen, but typing is much faster 90% of the time. (Also pressure input from the tablet don't show up in Photoshop :( )

-You don't HAVE to print out the lecture slides/notes, but if you get eye-strain from reading off the screen (like me) you'll end up printing them anyway.

-Not really a hardware complaint, but the wireless Internet service on these laptops at school is really unreliable. You just randomly, mysteriously get kicked off the network. :confused:

In conclusion... get a laptop... but don't get one just because the school recommended it...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Latitude XT with a Core 2 Duo. it's great.

Macs are DEFINITELY not more reliable than PCs. Software-wise, sure, if you're not tech-saavy, then mac is probably for you. But in terms of hardware failure, macs probably have a lower hardware failure rate than most HP's and Dell's, but a much higher failure rate than Thinkpads (IBM or Lenovo), or Panasonic Toughbooks.

I would also be pretty confident in saying that macs also have a higher failure rate than Dell's Latitude series of notebooks.

if anyone at ottawa med needs to buy a latitude XT, you can take mine off me for $1300. I'm in Toronto. Just PM me.

I have a Latitude XT with a Core 2 Duo. it's great.

Macs are DEFINITELY not more reliable than PCs. Software-wise, sure, if you're not tech-saavy, then mac is probably for you. But in terms of hardware failure, macs probably have a lower hardware failure rate than most HP's and Dell's, but a much higher failure rate than Thinkpads (IBM or Lenovo), or Panasonic Toughbooks.

I would also be pretty confident in saying that macs also have a higher failure rate than Dell's Latitude series of notebooks.

if anyone at ottawa med needs to buy a latitude XT, you can take mine off me for $1300. I'm in Toronto. Just PM me.

I don't think I know anyone who opted out of the program and regretted it. With that said. The XTs are going on ebay for 550-1100 now, so yours better have a 128GB SSD if you are letting it go for 1300, LOL.

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/Laptops-Notebooks__latitude-XT_W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_fromfsbZQQ_sacatZ177QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282

Archived