Premed 101 Forums

DAT rewrites

As far as I know, I'm doomed for the coming DAT simply because it's my first year in university and I had misjudged the workload. I did, however, study the material during the summer, but I have forgotten most of it already. :(

In any case, I was wondering about how Canadian dental schools (especially McGill) view an applicant who has rewritten the DAT? Do they only consider the most recent result?

I've written it 3 times and was accepted to McGill as OOP, lol. I don't really think it matters. Some schools will take your highest scores, others will take your most recent, and other schools will look at each component of the DAT and take your individual highest score for each section... Overall, I don't think it hurts an application to write it more than once.

Best of luck!

this is my sixth time writing the dat! big deal.How could one have a killer GPA and do the DAT so many times? Anxiety on test day my friend. Hopefully this year I will kill this b

Either that.... or you are going to a ****ty school that inflates your grades to make you think you are smart, but in the larger scheme you aren't. Six times is a lot, have you sought professional help on dealing with anxiety?

just thinking out loud...

I love seeing keen 1st years thinking they can fast track everything and then get screwed over. Did you also know that your DAT score has an expiry date? In that after 2 years (I think) you can no longer use your DAT score to apply to a school?

As you go through school you learn skills that will help you do well on tests. You learn discipline, how you study best, and how you can work together with others to do well on tests (collaborate). In first year, you have gained little proficiency in these skills. Do yourself a favour and sign up for the DAT in your 3rd or 4th year and get it over with once: spend the first two years doing meaningful things.

Archived