Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for Good Resp Textbook?

snplow

Hey med students,

I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for a good resp textbook? I am looking for something that is:

- not too hard to read

- easy to carry

- well organized (presents chapters and its information in a logical order [ie: etiology, pathology, pathophysiology, symptoms, physical examination, test results, treatments, summary])

As an example, a really good textbook is Pathophysiology of Heart Disease by Leonard Lilly for cardio.

I find that a lot of textbooks go into too much detail where it becomes difficult to read and also clinically irrelevant.

Thanks!

As an example, a really good textbook is Pathophysiology of Heart Disease by Leonard Lilly for cardio.

Unfortunately, I have yet to hear about such a book for resp. Recommended to us were the West textbooks, one on pathophys (Pulmonary Pathophysiology, John B. West) and one on physiology (Respiratory Physiology, John B. West). I also bought a Lange, Pulmonary Physiology. All 3 are very small (200-300 pages) easy to carry paperbacks (almost fit in a labcoat pocket), though I found them a bit expensive for their size (about 35$ each?). I thought they were "ok", but definitely not as good as Lilly.

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked Pulmonary Physiology and Pathophysiology: An Integrated, Case-Based Approach by West. It only took me a day or so to get through. The cased-based approach to topics really works well for me, but if it doesn't for you, this book probably wouldn't be so great. I tried reading Pulmonary Physiology by West, but it was a big snore... so I didn't make it very far. :rolleyes:

Archived