Premed 101 Forums

studying for heavy memorization courses

Guest osjx82

Hi everyone. I'm an undergrad student at UBC. I just wrote my histology final (Anatomy 390 at UBC). I did pretty well in the course overall but studying for it was hell. The amount of work was overwhelming:p (for me at least) and there was sooo much detail thrown at you that by the time I finished studying for the final my brain was just over stuffed and something had to come out of it before I could stuff more information in.

My question is...how do you guys (med students) study for these pure memorization courses?

would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Guest cutieyellow

I just read things over and over and over. I usually do about 5 readings of the material over the semester. Mind you, that's my method, and there are no good ways. I have a friend that only reads it twice but that takes like 30 min per page...making sure he knows every little bitty detail on that page. I'd rather read it over and over. Mind you, 1000 pages x 5 does get kinda annoying...but...i find it's always worked for me.

CY

I'm not in medicine, but I go over each lecture for that day at night briefly to make sure I understand everything...if not, I get help right away. At the end of the semester I read everything through briefly to review. Next time through I read and then recite without looking, and then check what I've missed page by page. Finally, I go through once trying to recite pages from memory by only looking at the title of the slide/page/topic. I highlight what I don't know and review that the night/morning before an exam.

Med students I know start memorizing bits and pieces from day one so it becomes part of their deeper memory...that way they don't feel as explosive/full of information on a superficial level come exam day.

I have been keeping up throughout the term and I made sure I understood everything, which is different from being able to remember and regurgitate on the exam.

I read over (reviewed) everything twice, but that took me 4 full days (you can sorta imagine how much material that is). it was hard to keep the previous stuff in the head.

It was probably the most memorization-heavy course I've taken so far in school.

Guest noncestvrai

I may not be a good model now, but in undergrad I read my stuff 3-4 times, wrote down, visualised stuff et al.

It worked pretty well.

Then, in medschool, I go to lectures, pay attention, read the stuff once, that's it...well maybe twice for anatomy and histo, the thing is that if you understand you're ok, I've been getting from 86-91 in my final unit grades, everything is pass/fail though.

I think it's important not to go crazy and miss on opportunities outside of school, keeping a balanced life.

noncestvrai

I just wanted to note that when I say I review my notes from that day each night, I spend about 10 min/lecture...so about 30 min a day. Leaves plenty of time for an extracurricular/social life. :)

Guest McMastergirl

Good old-fashioned flash cards work well... they are labour-intensive to make and practice, but the act of writing the answers out and then repetitively recalling them seems intuitively more effective than reading repetitively... although some people have better visual memory than others...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Nikhila

I'm a 1st year at U of T and while the entire experience has been totally humbling, I'd say the biggest surprise for me is the VOLUME of information being shoved down our throats - its brutal! My strategy is to go through the lectures on the weekend (too tired during the weekdays) and be sure to highlight the key points. Then, about a week before the exam, recite the information that I know (people walk by my room sometimes and must think I'm a total lunatic, talking to myself at all hours of the night).... While I may be hoarse the morning after, its usually worth it!

-Nikhila

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived