Premed 101 Forums

NSERC vs non-NSERC?

StreetballKing

NSERC is a scholarship. any scholarship would generally be better than just the research job without one, but what you got out of the experience will count for a lot more than the scholarship. and as far as i know, research isn't actually necessary.

other scholarships might include CIHR, SSHRC, heart and stroke, .........

if you take a step back and look at the question yourself, you might see some issues with your position. for example, if you could potentially get an NSERC in the first place, why wouldn't you try?

Just a question... why is NSERC the predominant funding source that people talk about on this forum?? Considering that this is a pre MED forum, I'd think that most people would be talkinga bout CIHR

True, but are there opportunities for undergrads to receive CIHR funding (scholarships, grants, etc.)?

NSERC is a scholarship. any scholarship would generally be better than just the research job without one, but what you got out of the experience will count for a lot more than the scholarship. and as far as i know, research isn't actually necessary.

other scholarships might include CIHR, SSHRC, heart and stroke, .........

if you take a step back and look at the question yourself, you might see some issues with your position. for example, if you could potentially get an NSERC in the first place, why wouldn't you try?

Thanks for the reply tearless. As I'm entering a co-op term starting Jan 2009, normally, most co-op companies will just pay the students themselves, but this company is gonna apply for NSERC for me. I was just wondering that since this could potentially benefit both parties (the company saves some money, and I get some merit), the pay is the same either way.

NSERC funding is available for summer studentships - I always assumed it was for research in a university research lab or NRC or something, but I suppose it could be with a company too (don't know!? sorry!)

CIHR as with the SSHRC are graduate/post-doctoral fellow awards as far as I know. You can also get NSERC funding (different than undergrad) as a grad student, post-doc. And I'm sure NS isn't the only with a health research funding agency (grad/post-doc again)

There are also other funding agencies out there, and "scholarship" or "fellowship" opportunities for undergrads. Takes a little bit of searching, but they are out there. I used to see posters for them around the chem and biochem departments at my school. Ask your department too because they might know of opportunities, or go talk to your favourite prof. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Archived