Premed 101 Forums

320-slice CT

I guess this is kind of old news, but I found out recently that VGH acquired a Toshiba 320-slice cardiac CT, one of apparently only a couple in north america so far.

I'm not too familiar with all its capabilities, but from what I've heard, it can assess pretty much everything, such as coronary arteries, valves/chambers, and the potential for myocardial perfusion and cardiac function studies.

It sounds pretty impressive to me to have a single imaging modality that can assess structures, perfusion, and function all at the same time. So does that mean it could potentially replace other cardiac imaging studies like echo and MIBI?

I guess this is kind of old news, but I found out recently that VGH acquired a Toshiba 320-slice cardiac CT, one of apparently only a couple in north america so far.

I'm not too familiar with all its capabilities, but from what I've heard, it can assess pretty much everything, such as coronary arteries, valves/chambers, and the potential for myocardial perfusion and cardiac function studies.

It sounds pretty impressive to me to have a single imaging modality that can assess structures, perfusion, and function all at the same time. So does that mean it could potentially replace other cardiac imaging studies like echo and MIBI?

Potentially.

Now seeing many cardiologists have donated to get this CT scanner while the scanner belongs to radiology, it will be interesting to see whether cardiologists will be able to steal this area from radiologists in BC, or radiologists able to regain their lost territory in cardiac imaging.

If the radiologists are willing to get up at the middle of the night to read the scans.

Take my opinion with a pile of salt, but wouldn't the radiation dose of a CT be overkill when echos are already available for assessing cardiac function?

As far as I know, CTA and in the future, MRA, is far superior to echo in terms of its diagnostic capability, both in the greater range of cardiac diseases it can diagnose, as well as the better sensitivity and specificity.

It's like abdo ultrasound vs CT and MR.

In fact a couple of studies have shown that CTA as a first line diagnostic tool for ER chest pain can save money.

Hi there,

There are a few centres across the country that are acquiring some fancy toys at the moment and there are definitely clinicians out there (not only cardiologists) who are pushing for these machines to be installed. Additionally, new applications for these new technologies are being developed. In fact, this is a primary thrust of my PhD, i.e., assessing the use of advanced imaging (and new approaches to imaging) in certain, at-risk patient groups.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived